* [9front] web browsing- vmx/vnc/rd/x2go/orher machine
@ 2020-12-10  0:13 Steve Simon
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-12-10  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

hi,

i have not used plan9 for a couple of years (p9p only) but have set up a pi again.

i have also never used 9front.

are there any solutions for web browsing (where abaco and mothra are not enough) on 9front? what do you people use?

is vxe fast enough to run linux well?
do you use remote desktop (rd) or vnc?
maybe you just have a 2nd machine for that?

finally, anyone any opinions on x2go which some claim is the most performant remote screen technology.

i am not trolling, just looking for options.

-Steve

* Re: [9front] web browsing- vmx/vnc/rd/x2go/orher machine
@ 2020-12-10  1:05 ` Kurt H Maier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2020-12-10  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:13:54AM +0000, Steve Simon wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have not used plan9 for a couple of years (p9p only) but have set up a pi again.

welcome back.

> i have also never used 9front.

you're in good company either way.

> are there any solutions for web browsing (where abaco and mothra are not enough) on 9front? what do you people use?

I use an entirely different computer running RHEL or OpenBSD.

> finally, anyone any opinions on x2go which some claim is the most performant remote screen technology.

x2go is the descendant of Nomachine NX.  It's not as lightweight as raw
X11 forwarding but is more powerful and less sensitive to network
latency.  I use it frequently, but not on Plan 9.

> i am not trolling, just looking for options.

you're in good company either way.

khm

* Re: [9front] web browsing- vmx/vnc/rd/x2go/orher machine
@ 2020-12-10  1:05 ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-12-10  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, 9front

Quoth Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:

> hi,
>
> i have not used plan9 for a couple of
> years (p9p only) but have set up a pi
> again.
>
> i have also never used 9front.
>
> what do you people use?

Personally, a mix of mothra and vnc; I've
got a smallish vultr vm that I have for vnc
when on the road, as well as my work machine
that I use as a vnc host at home.

I'm hoping to replace that with vmx, but vmx
needs some perf work.

> are there any solutions for web browsing (where
> abaco and mothra are not enough) on 9front?

There's a native netsurf port:

    https://github.com/netsurf-plan9/nsport

It works ok, though it's still kind of slow
fetching over webfs.

There's some work that needs to be done still:
something to do with the scheduler making i/o
slow. Phil9 can probably fill in a bit more on
that front.

> is vxe fast enough to run linux well?
> do you use remote desktop (rd) or vnc?
> maybe you just have a 2nd machine for that?

I've found vmx frustratingly slow. But the path
to fixing it seems clear.

There are almost certainly a handful of operations
that we're doing really frequently, and we're doing
a context switch to the vmx proc on every vm exit.
A shortcut in kernel for simple, common operations
will probably speed things up quite a bit.

I need to find time to identify the operations that
matter, and write some code.

> finally, anyone any opinions on x2go which some
> claim is the most performant remote screen technology.

Heard of it -- never tried, but it's likely to be
a lot of effort to port or rewrite.

* Re: [9front] web browsing- vmx/vnc/rd/x2go/orher machine
@ 2020-12-10  1:24 ` kvik
From: kvik @ 2020-12-10  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
> what do you people use?

A mix of everything you mentioned.  For life-sucking browsing I
just use a $BROWSER on Linux, either through vncv or directly
at the terminal when using 9front through drawterm.
Within 9front I switch between mothra and, lately, netsurf to view
stuff I'm familiar with or that I have scripted one way or another.
On a 9front laptop I'll occasionally fire up $BROWSER on a Linux
running within vmx.

> is vxe fast enough to run linux well?

I've found it usable.  It's definitely not fast, but people are
working on making it fast(er).

* Re: [9front] web browsing- vmx/vnc/rd/x2go/orher machine
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-12-10  1:44 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2020-12-10  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On December 9, 2020 7:13:54 PM EST, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

>hi,
>
>i have not used plan9 for a couple of years (p9p only) but have set up
>a pi again.
>
>i have also never used 9front.
>
>are there any solutions for web browsing (where abaco and mothra are
>not enough) on 9front? what do you people use?
>
>is vxe fast enough to run linux well?
>do you use remote desktop (rd) or vnc?
>maybe you just have a 2nd machine for that?
>
>finally, anyone any opinions on x2go which some claim is the most
>performant remote screen technology.
>
>i am not trolling, just looking for options.
>
>-Steve

http://helpful.cat-v.org/Blog/2020/05/06/0/

if you have a reasonably fast connection and another machine already running what you want, vnc over ssh is a good compromise that works just as well regardless of terminal architecture, even if you only tls booted off a usb thumb drive.

vmx running openbsd works pretty well for me, but the big browsers slow to a crawl.

mothra is sufficient for a lot, but of course it has no support for javascript or css.

can netsurf display images yet?

sl