* [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-03 16:39 Eric Lynema
From: Eric Lynema @ 2021-07-03 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello, I would like to multiboot my raspberry pi 3 with the option of
raspbian and 9front. I don't even really need 9front's filesystem, as
currently I network boot off my 9front cpu server. Is there a good way
to do this? Is there a bad way to do this?

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-03 19:10 ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2021-07-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 11:20 AM Eric Lynema <elynema@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I would like to multiboot my raspberry pi 3 with the option of
> raspbian and 9front. I don't even really need 9front's filesystem, as
> currently I network boot off my 9front cpu server. Is there a good way
> to do this? Is there a bad way to do this?

The real question is -- how do you want to trigger one or the other?
Do you want it to happen from the serial console during boot?
Graphical? By shortening a GPIO pin? Something else?

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-03 20:28   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-07-03 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i think you can even use 9front to /dev/reboot into linux :)

@ 2021-07-03 20:29     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-07-03 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

this would mean the linux kernel could even be dp9ik authenticated and
coming from the 9front fileserver

@ 2021-07-03 20:42     ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2021-07-03 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 1:31 PM hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:

> i think you can even use 9front to /dev/reboot into linux :)

Is this really possible? That would be awesome!

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-03 20:48 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-07-03 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Jul 03, 2021 at 12:39:20PM -0400, Eric Lynema wrote:
> Is there a good way to do this?

Install raspbian on one sd card and 9front on another sd card.  Insert
the card corresponding to the OS you want to boot.  Dispose of the
raspberry pi in accordance with local e-waste ordinances.

> Is there a bad way to do this?

Every other conceivable approach.

khm

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-03 21:30       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-07-03 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Is this really possible? That would be awesome!

i was wrong and it is not possible, sorry for giving false hopes here

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-03 21:33         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-07-03 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

on a real computer you'd likely just use lilo or grub to select either
the 9front or linux kernel.
but on a rpi without a real bios, i don't know. i bet khm is right and
switching sd cards is the easiest route

On 7/3/21, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is this really possible? That would be awesome!
>
> i was wrong and it is not possible, sorry for giving false hopes here

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-04  7:54           ` sirjofri
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: sirjofri @ 2021-07-04  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hiro

I know there is a multiboot loader for rpi, I just can't remember the
name. Iirc it was also helping installing various linux distributions.
There's a hole system around it (like, a windows application where you
can select the distributions you want and configure the bootloader, then
burn the whole thing to disk)

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-04  8:09             ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-07-04  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hiro

04.07.2021 09:54:41 sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de>:

> I know there is a multiboot loader for rpi, I just can't remember the
> name. Iirc it was also helping installing various linux distributions.
> There's a hole system around it (like, a windows application where you
> can select the distributions you want and configure the bootloader,
> then burn the whole thing to disk)

It's called NOOBS (new out-of the box system), and it allows to add
custom OSes with a partition and a custom filesystem. Here's the github
page which explains a lot: https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-04 17:22             ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2021-07-04 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 7:59 AM sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de> wrote:

> I know there is a multiboot loader for rpi, I just can't remember the
> name. Iirc it was also helping installing various linux distributions.
> There's a hole system around it (like, a windows application where you
> can select the distributions you want and configure the bootloader, then
> burn the whole thing to disk)

u-boot can be a fine multiloader on RPi4 -- that's not a problem. The
problem is how the OP wants to control it (e.g. u-boot has a limited
way of being controlled)

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-05  5:27               ` Eric Lynema
       [not found]                 ` <CA+ULb+tUreYUU2U-tW0ymOZQkzw6C4++jYAKJ1fCA8p_SDkheA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eric Lynema @ 2021-07-05  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Well... the route I'm attempting is BerryBoot currently. The problem
is creating an image for it. It is fascinated with squashfs... I'm
honestly not sure if anything not linux runs on it yet. As we speak
I'm using a utility to try to convert the 9front image to it... I'll
be happy if anything about it works. If I can get it to netboot off my
local cpu server even I will be happy.

Eric Lynema
(616) 990-0911

@ 2021-07-06 11:04                   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-07-06 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

cinap sent a patch to the kexec people so rebooting into 9front should work

@ 2021-07-06 15:39                     ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2021-07-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

wait, this was on 386/amd64. arm/arm64 has no multiboot afaik,
so i dont know if my patches would apply here.

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-06 16:05                     ` kvik
From: kvik @ 2021-07-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

https://marc.info/?l=kexec&m=154867245605593&w=2
> I have applied these patches for inclusion in the next release of
> kexec-tools.

Indeed:

https://github.com/horms/kexec-tools/commit/8776bf88e50d0255ee612009a43e44ad5189d0f8
https://github.com/horms/kexec-tools/commit/2880a35f38cd43b6cd118018d9bceb4c27964a84
https://github.com/horms/kexec-tools/commit/002b608f36693665f7e5326449bb646101713e81

* Re: [9front] Multi-booting 9front on the raspberry pi
@ 2021-07-07  3:03             ` Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) @ 2021-07-07  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, sirjofri

sirjofri writes:
> I know there is a multiboot loader for rpi, I just can't remember the
> name.

pxemenu <docks and runs/>