* [9front] 50$ bounty for Half-Life in 9
@ 2021-08-30 13:53 José Miguel Sánchez García
From: José Miguel Sánchez García @ 2021-08-30 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

To bring the Year of 9 Gaming a bit closer.

Cheers,
jmi2k

* Re: [9front] 50$ bounty for Half-Life in 9
@ 2021-08-30 16:22 ` Elias Fleckenstein
From: Elias Fleckenstein @ 2021-08-30 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

Please make it more clear what your requirements are.

Do you want the source code to be ported to Plan 9 C or do you just want
to somehow be  able to run the game inside of Plan 9? Because the latter
can be achieved by emulating a linux system using vmx and then using
wine inside that system to run the game.

If you want us to port the source code, where do we even obtain the code?

Fleckenstein

@ 2021-08-30 17:11   ` José Miguel Sánchez García
From: José Miguel Sánchez García @ 2021-08-30 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello,

Sorry, me making it so concise was a bit tongue-in-cheek (partly
because bounties in the 9front page aren't extensively defined, partly
because I'm aware of the complexities that could arise while porting
it). I would love to build and play the game natively in a 9 system,
using the original sources or maybe using a port of Xash3D for 9.
AFAIK, the original Half-Life sources are distributed alongside the
Half-Life SDK. One of the main hurdles is that the game is written in
C++, so that rules out any attempt of just adapting the source code to
make it work with the C compiler. Xash3D is written in C, so that
gives me a bit of hope.

Just to be clear: I'm not in any way asking for it to be done
expecting to have it soon. I'm aware of (some?) of the difficulties of
such a project. But if someone decides to work on it and ends up with
a playable result, I'll be more than willing to thank him with this
bounty.

Cheers,
jmi2k

@ 2021-08-30 17:12   ` an2qzavok
       [not found]     ` <CAGdRm9LMwEcziBO=PH5W1FVveJ_mVZxm=zG5bhez7QO3ewTNmw@mail.gmail.com>
From: an2qzavok @ 2021-08-30 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>If you want us to port the source code, where do we even obtain the code?

There's an open source GoldSource-compatible engine called Xash3D, I
think it even builds on i386 Linux.

@ 2021-08-30 21:44       ` mrowczok
From: mrowczok @ 2021-08-30 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

also there was a code-leak in 2003, unfortunately for your project that it
was for hl2/hl:source

https://vcc.wiki/wiki/The_2003_Leak

@ 2021-08-31 17:42         ` Tobias Heinicke
From: Tobias Heinicke @ 2021-08-31 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I think the most sane approach would be to port FTEQW (given that it is
a Quake/QuakeWorld engine and we already got qk1 and qk2 (thanks to qwx)
this may be quite feasible) and then port FreeHL:

https://github.com/eukara/freehl

That is on a quick glance: port FTEQW (probably most work), then port
Nuclide SDK (https://github.com/VeraVisions/nuclide/) (should be less
work) and get FreeHL, FreeCS and more almost for free (mostly writing
beautiful mkfiles).

Seems saner than xash3d (and also legal ; especially compared to leak
suggestion)

--
Tobias Heinicke