* [9front] pr chess engine
@ 2021-09-18 18:10 lyndsay
From: lyndsay @ 2021-09-18 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

according to http://doc.9gridchan.org/other.peoples.stuff a "pr" was at
some point developing a chess engine for 9front. i do not recognize that
name and i do not see such software or any equivalent in contrib, extra,
games, or shithub and all the ants repositories appear dead so i can't
check them. does anybody have an existing version of this in source form
or know where i can contact this pr fellow?

-lyndsay

* Re: [9front] pr chess engine
@ 2021-09-18 20:32 ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2021-09-18 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

> according to http://doc.9gridchan.org/other.peoples.stuff a "pr" was at
> some point developing a chess engine for 9front. i do not recognize that
> name and i do not see such software or any equivalent in contrib, extra,
> games, or shithub and all the ants repositories appear dead so i can't
> check them. does anybody have an existing version of this in source form
> or know where i can contact this pr fellow?
>
> -lyndsay

This page is now very outdated, iirc dating from early 2018.  I've seen pr
on #cat-v, but I'm not aware of him publishing his chess engine.
umbraticus has done a bunch of work on several of them [1].  There might
be a port of GNU chess somewhere, but I don't condone self-harm.  There's
also mycroftiv's purplechess [2], you'll need to read his posts to
experience it to the fullest :)

Cheers,
qwx

[1] http://runjimmyrunrunyoufuckerrun.com/src/games/
[2] https://github.com/Plan9-Archive/purplechess

* Re: [9front] pr chess engine
@ 2021-09-18 21:39 ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2021-09-18 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

there are some ports here:

http://runjimmyrunrunyoufuckerrun.com/src/games/chessengines

Thanks to qwx for crafty (amd64 only, iirc) and ngplay.
/src/games/chess.c is a program I use mainly for viewing
pgn and keeping track of email correspondence games
but it can also interface to the engines so you can play
a game. There are some bugs I'll get around to fixing
one day...

A while ago we had a few games on grid thru a gamesfs
I hacked together. That was fun; I should get it working
again. Also considered a FICS interface.

One day I'll try an engine. If you haven't found it already:

https://www.chessprogramming.org

Let us know if you make something!

umbraticus

* Re: [9front] pr chess engine
@ 2021-09-18 22:19   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2021-09-18 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i have a vague memory of playing a gnu chess port i found on sources, and definitely of playing a gnu go port i found on sources, but i seem to only still have the gnu go code:

http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/src/gnugo.tgz

i do remember that none of the network features worked.

sl

* Re: [9front] pr chess engine
@ 2021-09-19  7:27     ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-09-19  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanley Lieber

19.09.2021 00:19:56 Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>:

> i have a vague memory of playing a gnu chess port i found on sources,
> and definitely of playing a gnu go port i found on sources, but i seem
> to only still have the gnu go code:
>
> http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/src/gnugo.tgz
>
> i do remember that none of the network features worked.

A network ready Go would be really interesting to me. I have barely no
person I can play with (in person).

But, having the software doesn't solve everything. We also need players!

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] pr chess engine
@ 2021-09-19  9:28       ` Alban de Crevoisier
       [not found]         ` <c277d628-53ff-40e4-b39c-eb69cec751ab@sirjofri.de>
From: Alban de Crevoisier @ 2021-09-19  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, sirjofri, Stanley Lieber

>A network ready Go would be really interesting to me. I have barely no
>person I can play with (in person).
I was thinking the same, but I've never coded anything beyond my uni's
practicals. I'd love to give it a go with some help though!
(Although my x201 recently died, so I'll need a new box first.)

>But, having the software doesn't solve everything. We also need players!
I'd be delighted to play with you! We can still use IGS through telnet,
iirc I was able to play a game from 9front.

--
 ∇

* Re: [9front] pr chess engine
       [not found]           ` <BC99C3DE-AE43-4E5A-9C7C-251614C0FE05@gmail.com>
@ 2021-09-19 13:03             ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-09-19 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

19.09.2021 13:25:14 Alban de Crevoisier <albandecrevoisier@gmail.com>:

> On September 19, 2021 11:55:02 AM GMT+02:00, sirjofri
> <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de> wrote:

>>> I was thinking the same, but I've never coded anything beyond my
>>> uni's
>>> practicals. I'd love to give it a go with some help though!
>>> (Although my x201 recently died, so I'll need a new box first.)

>>> I'd be delighted to play with you! We can still use IGS through
>>> telnet,
>>> iirc I was able to play a game from 9front.
>>
>> In theory we can build a mere GUI client which just reads other
>> people's
>> moves and writes our own moves. The "core" could be a simple mq
>> channel
>> (kvik's mq).
> I built such a GUI a few years ago, but lost the code since then.
> The only non-trivial bit was capture (iirc I did a pass each move
> to check life & death, but there is another way where one keeps
> a list of each group & only checks the groups affected by a move
> - seemed too complicated for me at the time).
> Only did the "new game then play with the mouse" part back then,
> I tried the network bit but failed miserably!
>
> mq channel -> do you mean something plan 9 specific instead of
> using a service like IGS? Automagic scoring is hard, we'd let
> players do it then?
>

>> It would then be even possible to hand-parse the moves and put the
>> pieces
>> on a real go board, without some application in between. When playing
>> manually you also don't have a mechanism that handles the rules for
>> you,
>> and there are different rule sets for various versions of Go.
> So just a game over IRC :)
>
>> A second mq could be used for chatting.
> We also need to manage time, polling the server to get byo-yomi
> info seems like the easiest way?

We only need this complex stuff if our system also handles the rules,
which is not necessary in my opinion, especially for a simple game like
go. I think, especially for a game like go, where the goal is not
necessarily winning. Also people tend to bend the rules to adjust the
game to their own needs, especially if it's not about sports.

I'm a purely casual player who does no special training and doesn't visit
competitions. It's about having fun and good time with friends.

Theoretically, we can play in a whiteboard-fs, but having a neat gui
application would be much better.

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] pr chess engine
@ 2021-09-20  9:40               ` Stuart Morrow