* [9front] Containers
@ 2021-11-30  3:38 Jubal Biggs
From: Jubal Biggs @ 2021-11-30  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hey, general question; has anyone been able to set up a containerized
service (Docker or otherwise) on Plan9? I guess it requires the Linux
kernel, which would not be optimal to run on top of a Plan9 environment,
but that sort of virtualization would open up a whole universe of
possibilities.

* Re: [9front] Containers
@ 2021-11-30  5:48 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-11-30  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 10:38:58PM -0500, Jubal Biggs wrote:
> Hey, general question; has anyone been able to set up a containerized
> service (Docker or otherwise) on Plan9? I guess it requires the Linux
> kernel, which would not be optimal to run on top of a Plan9 environment,
> but that sort of virtualization would open up a whole universe of
> possibilities.

Plan 9 doesn't need containerization; we have user-controllable
namespaces, which is the feature that Linux container tools poorly
imitate.  We do have some virtualization software, if you want to
artificially cripple your environment and then inadequately reconstruct
the features you left behind by booting a Linux kernel.

khm

* Re: [9front] Containers
@ 2021-11-30 14:28   ` Lucas Francesco
From: Lucas Francesco @ 2021-11-30 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

The best container that can exist is called a process with its own
namespace and place to write/exist. If you really any form/gimmick of
"contenarization" (the linux-grade thing, with a snapshot of the whole
container and importing/exporting between machines thing)  I think you
should checkout how plan9ants was setup on top of 9front (but with
venti-backed fossil rootscores ) to give on-demand isolated cpu
servers with its own root on a specific namespace (it was all on the
same kernel, not virtualized, but different /root and enviroment for
each user)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 at 04:27, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 10:38:58PM -0500, Jubal Biggs wrote:
> > Hey, general question; has anyone been able to set up a containerized
> > service (Docker or otherwise) on Plan9? I guess it requires the Linux
> > kernel, which would not be optimal to run on top of a Plan9 environment,
> > but that sort of virtualization would open up a whole universe of
> > possibilities.
>
> Plan 9 doesn't need containerization; we have user-controllable
> namespaces, which is the feature that Linux container tools poorly
> imitate.  We do have some virtualization software, if you want to
> artificially cripple your environment and then inadequately reconstruct
> the features you left behind by booting a Linux kernel.
>
> khm

* Re: [9front] Containers
@ 2021-11-30 14:29     ` Lucas Francesco
From: Lucas Francesco @ 2021-11-30 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)