* [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-02 21:17 william
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: william @ 2022-04-02 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Is anyone using this? I'm searching for a different news source. Its a sad habit
I have in the early morning to pour through news and get hammered with media junk.
Perhaps its an addiction. Anything to reduce bias or perhaps nntp is dead.

* Re: [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-02 21:43 ` Stanley Lieber
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-04-02 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

http://www.eternal-september.org/

sl

@ 2022-04-03  5:27 ` ~vidak
From: ~vidak @ 2022-04-03  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I would also like to start using NNTP more, but I am finding it very
difficult to discover new groups which aren't full of trolls and
bullies.

If you'd like to start a group, I am all for it? Perhaps we could look
for groups together sometime?

~vidak

* Re: [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-03  8:06 ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2022-04-03  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

A number of news sites have a lite version that is mothra- or hget|htmlfmt-friendly.

* Re: [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-03  9:25   ` Chris Fröschl
From: Chris Fröschl @ 2022-04-03  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

~vidak <vidak@riseup.net> wrote:

> I would also like to start using NNTP more, but I am finding it very
> difficult to discover new groups which aren't full of trolls and
> bullies.
>
> If you'd like to start a group, I am all for it? Perhaps we could look
> for groups together sometime?
>
> ~vidak

I'm also somewhat interested in the concept of nntp. Although I never really used it and would appreciate software/index advice that is less harmful in nature.

A 9front group would be awesome for sure.

* Re: [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-03  9:56     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-04-03  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

you could try to setup some kind of mail->nntp relay for this mailinglist
otoh i don't really see the advantage over plain email, apart from the
hierarchical categorization, which is useless today bec. of spam and
trolling and general lack of human attendance.

@ 2022-04-03  9:57     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-04-03  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> I'm also somewhat interested in the concept of nntp. Although I never really
> used it and would appreciate software/index advice that is less harmful in
> nature.

yes, we'd need our own categories, hierarchy, or index. could be
something trivial, just that it mustn't have been automated by the
spammers yet.

* Re: [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-03 10:15       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2022-04-03 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

not sure if it is already in 9front but russ wrote an nntpfs which worked fairly well.

i probably still have the source if it has disappeared.

-Steve

> On 3 Apr 2022, at 11:04 am, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm also somewhat interested in the concept of nntp. Although I never really
>> used it and would appreciate software/index advice that is less harmful in
>> nature.
>
> yes, we'd need our own categories, hierarchy, or index. could be
> something trivial, just that it mustn't have been automated by the
> spammers yet.

* Re: [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-03 10:35       ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-04-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hey

Just in case you're interested: I wrote a program called rssfill (I think
on shithub) that can fill your local /lib/news (or whatever) directory
with contents from rss/atom feeds. Not all feeds are supported as the
xmlpull library I used there doesn't support CDATA.

You can check my public news proxy via 9p:

; 9fs tcp!sirjofri.de!333 /n/news
; bind -a /n/news/<whateverfeed> /lib/news
; news

Send patches.

Regarding nntp, I played around with nntp and eternalseptember some time
ago but I wasn't able to find good active and informative news groups at
all. I found more joy with fidonet years ago.

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-03 12:53         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2022-04-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Yes we have nntpfs and I’d probably be using it to read and post.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 3, 2022, at 6:20 AM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>
> not sure if it is already in 9front but russ wrote an nntpfs which worked fairly well.
>
> i probably still have the source if it has disappeared.
>
> -Steve
>

>> On 3 Apr 2022, at 11:04 am, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm also somewhat interested in the concept of nntp. Although I never really
>>> used it and would appreciate software/index advice that is less harmful in
>>> nature.
>>
>> yes, we'd need our own categories, hierarchy, or index. could be
>> something trivial, just that it mustn't have been automated by the
>> spammers yet.

* Re: [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-03 14:17         ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-04-03 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

http://man.9front.org/4/nntpfs
http://man.9front.org/1/newt

sl

> On Apr 3, 2022, at 6:19 AM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>
> not sure if it is already in 9front but russ wrote an nntpfs which worked fairly well.
>
> i probably still have the source if it has disappeared.
>
> -Steve
>

>> On 3 Apr 2022, at 11:04 am, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm also somewhat interested in the concept of nntp. Although I never really
>>> used it and would appreciate software/index advice that is less harmful in
>>> nature.
>>
>> yes, we'd need our own categories, hierarchy, or index. could be
>> something trivial, just that it mustn't have been automated by the
>> spammers yet.

* Re: [9front] nntp
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-03 16:11 ` David Arroyo
From: David Arroyo @ 2022-04-03 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022, at 17:17, william@thinktankworkspaces.com wrote:
> Is anyone using this? I'm searching for a different news source.

I only used NNTP after its prime, participating in a few comp.lang.*
groups.  In 2022, I don't see much difference between an NNTP newsgroup
and a mailing list + archive. I've setup sieve filters in my fastmail
account that sort mailing list mail into an NNTP-like hierarchy by
reversing the domain name. For example, mail on this list goes to
`org/9front/9front`.

What can NNTP do that can't be done with any mailing list?

David

* Re: [9front] nntp
@ 2022-04-04  7:04   ` Keith Gibbs
From: Keith Gibbs @ 2022-04-04  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

It's not as much a what as a how.  NNTP is nice since it is
distributed and decentralized.  Since it is open and semi-anonymous,
it has one flaw, spam.

So yeah, many things an ML can do more nicely, but then you have a
single point of failure.

I have played around with NNTP on 9 and it is kind of cool.  I mean,
most of the people still using NNTP are probably using it for warez,
but that does mean if you subscribe to an NNTP service, the cost is
beyond trivial.  Not even using it for files, I subscribe to a decent
basic services for like $30 a year.  Do I get $30 a year of use out of
it, no, not yet, but I would love it if we would have an active group
and a few groups I do follow I enjoy (and ignore the spam).

I am a big advocate for us going back to old standards (finger, irc,
nntp, etc.) for many web services and leaning on newer standards that
are in the open spirit of the original internet (xmpp, gemini, etc.).
Likewise, I think we are really missing opportunities by not looking
for open protocol-based solutions rather than the compulsion of
looking toward single vendor or web.

Anyway, that is my thought.

-pixelheresy