* Re: [9front] tinc vs import
@ 2019-09-26 10:45 vp
From: vp @ 2019-09-26 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I'm just about done herding up my humble assortment of networks and
nodes into a tinc VPN, and plan on setting up another for $work.

After an honest read through the documentation, some scribbling, and
after figuring out the oddities of TUN/TAP drivers for my respective
target systems--the setup itself was painless, owing much to sshfs(4).

> the performance of tinc(8) vs import /net /net.alt?

At the moment I don't have two 9fronts in the right places to run some
comparisons but it should come with no surprise if tinc UDP tunnel
completely outclassed tunneling all the /net operations over 9p RPC in
all but (and including) the most local of setups.

-- kvik

* Re: [9front] tinc vs import
@ 2019-09-26 11:37 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-09-26 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

tinc has the latency benefit, but the bandwidth is kinda limited. i
haven't tested a /net import on the same setup, but i expect that
total bandwidth (with many parallel connections) can eclipse the one
of tinc. especially on low-latency >=1gbit networks that you share
with multiple users.
if plain throughput is more important to you i would recommend against tinc.

personally i use tinc to create n:n networks with n:n routing over the
public internet while using one shared private IPv4 address (/16)
namespace. one /24 per site/uplink.

this helps me mainly with administration tasks, when i have to access
any machine on any site, cause i don't have to manually select a proxy
first.

also, because web browsers are so slow no user noticed that everything
is theoretically throttled by going through one single tinc thread.