From: hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] 19,21 ARM Dev Summit and porting to Solid-Run hardware
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:53:55 +0200	[thread overview]

> What you say about industry practices is true from your point of view.

ok.

> Maybe the 99% is invisible to you and the people in the small niches you
> know of.

99% of what? what are you talking about?
you mean HPC is a small niche? not saying it is not, just trying to
clarify your opinion here.

> I understand the Fujitsu Fugaku Arm chip tops HPC for now.

You mean any good HPC can only be done cheaply/efficiently on "Fujitsu
Fugaku" platform? I have not been informed of this development, what
is the source of your claim? or do i misunderstand?

> I know

...from your point of view.

> Tesla uses Red Hat

in what way are they using red hat. is red hat working for them for
free? is there something irregular about their customer relationship?
red hat has many customers, why is it important whether tesla is one
of them, would it make any difference to HPC if tesla used microsoft
software to confuse the moon with the truck?

>, NASA and others use AWS
why does it matter that NASA uses AWS? we already know that somebody
clearly uses AWS, the more significant number would be the amount of
dollars of AWS revenue. i bet your point is that AWS makes money.

> and you can't say Tesla has not
> transformed autotech.

tesla certainly has not transformed anything relevant, apart from
those cop cars that it flattened bec. it's shitty optical pattern
recognition cannot detect the warning lights.

> For me a happy outcome would be to score resources from ARM and Solid-Run
> for 9front devs to work on, charming the marketing execs and their aspirated
> visions for the future we all want to have is fine by me.

i don't think there's anything those marketing execs can do about
increasing their shitty company's lack of documention.

the main developers have enough funds to buy a shitty arm cpu out of
their pocket money. again, the problem here is not the lack of
hardware or lack of money, it's the lack of documentation.

but go ahead and contact solid-run and explain that to them if you
like. if successful we will be very glad.

if you like to reverse-engineer things, feel free. but keep in mind
how much effort it was for the rpi, and that was barely worth it, only
the rpi4 manages to provide it's basic function, sometimes.

greetings