* [9front] who would say
@ 2020-12-22 19:03 Iruatã Souza
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2020-12-22 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

In [1] the author claims NetBSD to have the first BSD-licensed genet
driver (raspberry pi 4 ethernet). I know 9front uses a different
license, but it turns out cinap's driver was committed some time before
that [2].

Almost 10 years ago, who would say 9front would be the first
non-commercially backed system to come up with a driver for a recent
piece of hardware?

Congrats to all. Keep up the awesome work!

[1] https://rpi4-uefi.dev/bsd-licensed-genet-code/
[2] https://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/log?rev=genet

* Re: [9front] who would say
@ 2020-12-22 19:12 ` sl
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: sl @ 2020-12-22 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Almost 10 years ago, who would say 9front would be the first
>  non-commercially backed system to come up with a driver for a recent
> piece of hardware?

the dvd drive in the thinkpad x301 does not work in openbsd.

it works in 9front.

sl

* Re: [9front] who would say
@ 2020-12-22 19:21 ` Stuart Morrow
From: Stuart Morrow @ 2020-12-22 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Inferno was the first thing running on Kirkwood, by a non-kernel
programmer even.

Btw, why does kw have its own ethermii? It doesn't seem to do anything
that the one in port doesn't.

* Re: [9front] who would say
@ 2020-12-22 19:39 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-12-22 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front; +Cc: andrey.warkentin

well, did you tell him?
cc'ed andrey.warkentin@gmail.com

@ 2020-12-22 20:24   ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2020-12-22 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Folks,

To be clear, I was only trying to sincerely praise 9front, not to be
historically accurate or correct Andrey Warkentin in any form.

Thanks for all the info anyway.

* Re: [9front] who would say
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-12-22 20:54 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2020-12-22 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

afaik, theres still no documentation available at all
for the genet in bcm2711 soc.

so everyone just copies what the linux driver does as
closely as possible. which means, once you have problems,
you have no idea if it is because you are *not* implementing
some unneccesary special hw offload feature the linux
driver uses or not...

frustrating, especially if you got problems like these:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1219

and then you get comments like:

"I suppose suggesting using Linux is not helpfull?"

and you know, they have all the secret datasheets...

anyway, not proud of that driver...

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] who would say
@ 2020-12-22 21:04   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2020-12-22 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Btw, why does kw have its own ethermii? It doesn't seem to do anything
> that the one in port doesn't.

good catch.

alot of kernels used to also have their own copy of devether...

i'll make a patch...

--
cinap