* [9front] Port Status
@ 2022-07-04  1:25 Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-07-04  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I just tried to do updated builds for all of the architectures listed in
the man page for the compiler.

The ports for spim, 68000, 68020 and sparc currently appear to be broken.

All of them appear to be failing when trying to build libc, though the
specific error varies.  Two of them are missing recipes to build "cycles".

Not a big issue for me right now, but thought I would bring some
attention to it in any case.

* Re: [9front] Port Status
@ 2022-07-04 18:36 ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-07-04 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde101@fjrhome.net>:
> I just tried to do updated builds for all of the architectures listed in
> the man page for the compiler.
>
> The ports for spim, 68000, 68020 and sparc currently appear to be broken.
>
> All of them appear to be failing when trying to build libc, though the
> specific error varies.  Two of them are missing recipes to build "cycles".
>
> Not a big issue for me right now, but thought I would bring some
> attention to it in any case.

It probably makes sense to delete them, unless someone can step up
with hardware to try them on.

I sure as heck can't test.

* Re: [9front] Port Status
@ 2022-07-05 10:13   ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-07-05 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

All of the issues I am seeing appear to be build issues rather than code
issues.

spim:

cpp: /sys/include/ape/fmt.h:26 ./libc.h:21 ctime.c:1 Could not find
include file <stdarg.h>

68000:

Can't cd 68000: '68000' directory entry not found

68020:

mk: no recipe to make 'cycles.2' in directory /sys/src/libc/68020

sparc:

mk: no recipe to make 'cycles.k' in directory /sys/src/libc/sparc

On 7/4/22 2:36 PM, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
> Quoth Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde101@fjrhome.net>:
>> I just tried to do updated builds for all of the architectures listed in
>> the man page for the compiler.
>>
>> The ports for spim, 68000, 68020 and sparc currently appear to be broken.
>>
>> All of them appear to be failing when trying to build libc, though the
>> specific error varies.  Two of them are missing recipes to build "cycles".
>>
>> Not a big issue for me right now, but thought I would bring some
>> attention to it in any case.
>>

> It probably makes sense to delete them, unless someone can step up
> with hardware to try them on.
>
> I sure as heck can't test.

* Re: [9front] Port Status
@ 2022-07-05 14:53     ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-07-05 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde101@fjrhome.net>:
> spim:
>
> cpp: /sys/include/ape/fmt.h:26 ./libc.h:21 ctime.c:1 Could not find
> include file <stdarg.h>

Looks like spim is missing /spim/include/ape; I'm going to guess
that it should be identical to /mips/include/ape.

* Re: [9front] Port Status
@ 2022-07-05 18:23       ` adventures in9
From: adventures in9 @ 2022-07-05 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

That's odd because my system has those spim files.

cpu% pwd
/spim/include/ape
cpu% ls -l
--rw-rw-r-- M 683 theowner sys 1656 May 10 22:46 float.h
--rw-rw-r-- M 683 theowner sys 2249 May 10 22:46 math.h
--rw-rw-r-- M 683 theowner sys  366 May 10 22:47 stdarg.h
--rw-rw-r-- M 683 theowner sys  991 May 10 22:47 ureg.h
cpu% diff /spim/include/ape/stdarg.h /mips/include/ape/stdarg.h
cpu%

For reference, my system was installed with Community vs
Infrastructure and then I used sysupdate for the latest release.

It might just be time to retire the 68k series.  In my own recent
quest to find Raspberry Pi alternatives, the few 68k based chips still
produced seem to be stripped down models, often lacking MMU, used for
micro controller applications.  Fujitsu still makes sparc based chips,
but says they will be ending production soon.  And I wasn't able to
find anything in mass production based on open sparc.

Even though the Mips parent company has said they are switching to
risc-v, there are still several companies manufacturing mips cpus, and
a couple Chinese companies taking their license and expanding on them.
A new project I found interesting that used a Mips chips was this;
https://hackaday.io/project/185645-notkia-name-change-planned

@ 2022-07-07  3:16 ` Amavect
From: Amavect @ 2022-07-07  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 8:28 PM Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde101@fjrhome.net> wrote:

> I just tried to do updated builds for all of the architectures listed in
> the man page for the compiler.
>
> The ports for spim, 68000, 68020 and sparc currently appear to be broken.
>
> All of them appear to be failing when trying to build libc, though the
> specific error varies.  Two of them are missing recipes to build "cycles".
>
> Not a big issue for me right now, but thought I would bring some
> attention to it in any case.

This reminds me of the mkfile changes that I made to get `mk
installall` to work in /sys/src/.
https://git.sr.ht/~amavect/mkfilechanges
I could put together a patch if there's interest.

Thanks,
Amavect