From: Silas McCroskey <inkswinc@gmail.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] possible file server setup
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 12:13:02 -0800	[thread overview]

> I was wondering wether it is possible to have a separate auth server that TCP/PXE boots from the fileserver. It looks like the idiomatic way on one end, a “chicken and egg” problem on the other!

you can auth to another machine without using an auth server as long
as you're authing as the server's hostowner.

You can use this trick to bring the auth server up second via PXE
(with nvram on a USB stick or something to make it automatic, if
desired) and then use the auth server for everything else.

I don't know how common this is... I'm pretty sure I did it with VMs a
while back, but on hardware I've always run combined file + auth.

- sam-d