From: Silas McCroskey <inkswinc@gmail.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] rio consctl behaviour
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 15:50:06 -0700	[thread overview]

I'm not sure going from one convention to two -- for the same file
endpoint -- is an improvement.

If we're leaving raw mode alone, I'd lean towards leaving hold mode
alone as well for that reason.

I don't see much issue with /rc/bin/hold, other than that it blanks
the file on-disk until you exit hold mode, which can lead to
surprising problems if you e.g. just close the window without exiting
hold mode. If your proposal would address that somehow, it might be
worth it, but otherwise I see this as a net drop in simplicity of
overall interface, for questionable gain.

- sam-d