* [9front] Death of user "mycroftiv"
@ 2022-07-20 21:56 northernlights
From: northernlights @ 2022-07-20 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello all,

I'm writing to inform you of the death of a Plan 9 community figure who
went by the username "mycroftiv." I believe Stephen Jones (smj) already
passed the news along to some of you.

He mentioned that some of you wanted some information. As far as what he
died of, all I know is that it was pneuomnia. He was the former partner of
9 years of a housemate here in a large co-op I live in. They split in
January due to events that I won't go into detail about out of respect for
the privacy of those involved, including a minor. He was no longer welcome
on the property - he had been a member who lived here part time - due to
the events which led to the split. This would not have been a factor in
his death, as he co-owned a house with his mother.

If anybody has known mycroftiv for some time, you probably know that he
had Bipolar Disorder I. He was in a long and what seemed to be constantly
escalating manic episode (he generally refused treatment) and had been
since, I don't know, last fall. He also had some physical health problems
and was not too young, and I suppose mania can take a physical toll after
a while, not to mention whatever behaviors might go along with it. (I
myself got a lung x-ray for some reason when I was admitted to a psych
ward during a manic episode once.)

He had made our lives very difficult over the past months (although I
can't imagine how much more difficult for the people most directly
involved.) Condolences, exactly, are not in order; the person he was
thought to be has generally already been grieved. I know the same is
probably not true for many of you. It is, in fact, very sad for me, but
again, it "happened" some time ago, and in a different way.

I am sorry to pass along this news.

I'll try to show up in IRC some time soon, and you are welcome to write to
me at northernlights@sdf.org.

-northernlights

northernlights@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org