* minimum disk space for an installFrom: Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com>
@ 2013-02-15 11:29
From:  @ 2013-02-15 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello everyone,

I wanted to install 9front to be run from a virtual machine.
Booting 9front went ok both in virtualbox and vmware, however, with virtualbox
my host (windows) had problems with internet connection for some reason.
This was remedied by using vmware instead. But when I tried to install 9front
on a virtual drive of 2GB size, the installation failed saying something like
'no space on the device' or 'bucket full'. I looked at the (automatic)
division of
the partition, I found the parts like fscache and other had only cca 260 MB,
fsworm cca 1.5 GB. Thus I thought the space for fscache was made too small
and tried to reinstall with the size for fscache manually increased.
But the result
was much the same. Can anybody comment on my experience / help?

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9front] minimum disk space for an installReferences: <CAOEdRO0oM2HHt+t4746aifbrpVEnTbJ+oGtGBoJ=CZD+b322dw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-02-15 12:02 ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-02-15 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

So you need 12 gigs or more minimum for 9front.

On Feb 15, 2013, at 6:29, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I wanted to install 9front to be run from a virtual machine.
> Booting 9front went ok both in virtualbox and vmware, however, with virtualbox
> my host (windows) had problems with internet connection for some reason.
> This was remedied by using vmware instead. But when I tried to install 9front
> on a virtual drive of 2GB size, the installation failed saying something like
> 'no space on the device' or 'bucket full'. I looked at the (automatic)
> division of
> the partition, I found the parts like fscache and other had only cca 260 MB,
> fsworm cca 1.5 GB. Thus I thought the space for fscache was made too small
> and tried to reinstall with the size for fscache manually increased.
> But the result
> was much the same. Can anybody comment on my experience / help?
>
> Thanks
> Ruda

* Re: [9front] minimum disk space for an installFrom: Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com>
@ 2013-02-15 20:45   `
                       ` (2 more replies)
From:  @ 2013-02-15 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 15 February 2013 13:02, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:
> So you need 12 gigs or more minimum for 9front.

Thanks for the answer!
That seems quite big!
Why does one need so much space?!
(I do not need to store movies :))

Ruda

* Re: [9front] minimum disk space for an installFrom: Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@gmail.com>
@ 2013-02-15 20:46     `
  2013-02-15 20:50     ` [9front] minimum disk space for an installIn-Reply-To: <CAOEdRO0OXrhi_XGbXRpdzYC7+fUeN-UqRR6MA8XnX_Pkck=+NA@mail.gmail.com> Julius Schmidt
  2013-02-15 20:51     ` [9front] minimum disk space for an installReferences: <CAOEdRO0oM2HHt+t4746aifbrpVEnTbJ+oGtGBoJ=CZD+b322dw@mail.gmail.com> <22268D1B-024A-4461-B1ED-6665E63DFE30@gmail.com> <CAOEdRO0OXrhi_XGbXRpdzYC7+fUeN-UqRR6MA8XnX_Pkck=+NA@mail.gmail.com> Matthew Veety
From:  @ 2013-02-15 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 February 2013 13:02, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So you need 12 gigs or more minimum for 9front.
>
> Thanks for the answer!
> That seems quite big!
> Why does one need so much space?!
> (I do not need to store movies :))
>
> Ruda

worm.

* Re: [9front] minimum disk space for an installIn-Reply-To: <CAOEdRO0OXrhi_XGbXRpdzYC7+fUeN-UqRR6MA8XnX_Pkck=+NA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-02-15 20:50     ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2013-02-15 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

It is generally appreciated to read the wiki before writing to the mailing
list.

* Re: [9front] minimum disk space for an installReferences: <CAOEdRO0oM2HHt+t4746aifbrpVEnTbJ+oGtGBoJ=CZD+b322dw@mail.gmail.com> <22268D1B-024A-4461-B1ED-6665E63DFE30@gmail.com> <CAOEdRO0OXrhi_XGbXRpdzYC7+fUeN-UqRR6MA8XnX_Pkck=+NA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-02-15 20:51     ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-02-15 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Feb 15, 2013, at 15:45, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 February 2013 13:02, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So you need 12 gigs or more minimum for 9front.
>
> Thanks for the answer!
> That seems quite big!
> Why does one need so much space?!
> (I do not need to store movies :))
>
> Ruda

Use hjfs.

--
Veety

@ 2013-02-15 21:03       `
       [not found]         ` <20130215211759.GA23524@intma.in>
From:  @ 2013-02-15 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 15 February 2013 21:50, Julius Schmidt <aiju@phicode.de> wrote:
> It is generally appreciated to read the wiki before writing to the mailing
> list.

Fine.
It says it is safe to have 12 GB, not necessary.
Then, issue 75 says it: far too many people do the same mistake as I did.
If you need >something for sure, then the installer should stop you.
Furthermore, Plan9 proper doesn't require venti and you have the
option to not run it, as far as I remember;
then the minimum requirements are rather low.

Thanks,
Ruda

* Re: [9front] minimum disk space for an installMessage-ID: <20130215211759.GA23524@intma.in>
@ 2013-02-15 21:17         ` Kurt H Maier
       [not found]         ` <20130215211759.GA23524@intma.in>
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-02-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:03:22PM +0100, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
> On 15 February 2013 21:50, Julius Schmidt <aiju@phicode.de> wrote:
> > It is generally appreciated to read the wiki before writing to the mailing
> > list.
>
> Fine.
> It says it is safe to have 12 GB, not necessary.
> Then, issue 75 says it: far too many people do the same mistake as I did.
> If you need >something for sure, then the installer should stop you.
> Furthermore, Plan9 proper doesn't require venti and you have the
> option to not run it, as far as I remember;
> then the minimum requirements are rather low.
>
> Thanks,
> Ruda

send patches or shut the fuck up thanks

@ 2013-02-15 21:28           `
       [not found]             ` <20130215213006.GA31350@intma.in>
From:  @ 2013-02-15 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 15 February 2013 22:17, Kurt H Maier <khm-9@intma.in> wrote:
> send patches or shut the fuck up thanks

How nice there are idiots everywhere!
KHM is one of them here.
It's an irony such people ever get the chance to built upon software
of people whom I appreciate.

* Re: [9front] minimum disk space for an installMessage-ID: <20130215213006.GA31350@intma.in>
@ 2013-02-15 21:30             ` Kurt H Maier
       [not found]             ` <20130215213006.GA31350@intma.in>
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-02-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:28:14PM +0100, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
> On 15 February 2013 22:17, Kurt H Maier <khm-9@intma.in> wrote:
> > send patches or shut the fuck up thanks
>
> How nice there are idiots everywhere!
> KHM is one of them here.
> It's an irony such people ever get the chance to built upon software
> of people whom I appreciate.

nobody cares

* Re: [9front] minimum disk space for an installFrom: hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>
       [not found]             ` <20130215213006.GA31350@intma.in>
@ 2013-02-15 22:27               `
From:  @ 2013-02-15 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

well, I suggest not to expect being petted by crazy plan9 or 9front
people. KHM just meant to invite you to send a patch, thanks you're
welcome.