No. Is it that easy. can I just swap out vmlinuz with 9bootfat and 9pc I feel like when an EC2 is launched for the first time its amazon linux or ubuntu which ever you pick. By default it picks up a t3.micro which also includes an EBS of about 2G. Kind of small but you can resize it. The mbr is is already written and the bootlaoder is vmlinuz. If I swap it out I'm still in an ext2 or ext3/4 file system so it wouldn't matter. So basically I create another EBS then tell linux to format it fdisk and set fat then format it. I can set mbr. But then its a matter of placing the files in the right directories on that new EBS. Then telling my ec2 linux to reboot but on a different ebs volume and boom! I'm booting in 9front. I still feel this is a waste or I'm doing it in the wrong order. So right now I have my ec2 running qemu and its working fine. I could also try and tell AWS to spin up another EBS volume and creatively mount it then run dd if=/mnt/9front.img of=/dev/to_new_volume etc... with the right flags. Then tell ec2 to boot on a new volume. I guess the only benefit is speed because qemu works but I was hoping to retire it. At this moment I'm starting to feel lazy do I push forward or settle. I need to think. Thanks again!