From: Lorenzo Bivens <izaki@belaska.us>
To: "9front@9front.org" <9front@9front.org>
Subject: [9front] Disk Mirroring, or disk composition using fs(3)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:54:05 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi!

I am attempting to setup a couple of disks as mirrors to store a cwfs'  fsworm partition. I am operating under the assumption that an fs(3) made disk file operates as any other disk.

Starting with two identical blank disks, here is my current process:
echo mirror md0/data /dev/sd01/data /dev/sd02/data >/dev/fs/ctl
disk/mbr -m /386/mbr /dev/md0/data # adding mbr to the mirror set correctly adds mbr to both disks
echo part md0/plan9 /dev/md0/data 0 end >/dev/fs/ctl  # correctly adds a partition to both disks
echo part md0/fsworm /dev/md0/plan9 0 end >/dev/fs/ctl # adds the fsworm subpartition

So far, so good. Now let's try the install
configfs... cwfs64x
partdisk... setup my cache drive
prepdisk... slice the cache drive with 9fat, nvram, other, and fscache
mountfs:
- /dev/sd00/fscache as fscache
- /dev/md0/fsworm as worm (manual input since no suggestions are made)
- /dev/sd00/other as other (and I am not even sure I want this...)
ream the system? (mutual assured destruction) yes
a series of
wrenwrite: block out of range w"/dev/md0/fsworm"(2)
wrenread: block out of range w"/dev/md0/fsworm"(2)
w"/dev/md0/fsworm" block 2 WORM SUPER BLOCK READ FAILED
and the rest is consequence of that

I suspect this could be a problem of assumptions. If anyone has experience with a similar disk layout... how did you make it work?

Thanks!