From: Lorenzo Bivens <izaki@belaska.us>
To: "9front@9front.org" <9front@9front.org>
Subject: Re: [9front] suggestion for a domestic 9front fs
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:46:27 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Maurizio,

A domestic 9front fileserver can be anything from a RPI, to a racked server, including a laptop in a closet, or a virtual machine. You don't need to get any special hardware: just make sure it is on the list of supported hardware.  Rather than investing on, or harvesting hardware, I personally recommend that you test your desire setup on a virtual machine.

What I understand when you say domestic fileserver, and then mention smb/nfs, is that you probably are looking to setup a home NAS.  You can certainly enjoy an very edifying experience setting this up, but as far as I know smb/nfs are not currently "serving"  options. The good news is that there are dozens of 9p implementations, and there is likely one that will work with your client platform.

If you haven't done so, I recommend that you spend some time at skimming over the fqa (http://fqa.9front.org/) to get an idea of what advantages, and limitations you'll face when implementing your 9front based NAS.

Qpla'