* [9front] release candidate
@ 2021-07-15 20:15 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2021-07-15 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

most recent iso build for testing:

http://lux.felloff.net/usr/cinap_lenrek/9front/9front-8586.006c4d7ffcf24ab3013f7b4cf64034ad182a6e96.386.iso.gz.torrent
http://lux.felloff.net/usr/cinap_lenrek/9front/9front-8586.006c4d7ffcf24ab3013f7b4cf64034ad182a6e96.amd64.iso.gz.torrent
http://lux.felloff.net/usr/cinap_lenrek/9front/9front-8586.006c4d7ffcf24ab3013f7b4cf64034ad182a6e96.pi.img.gz.torrent
http://lux.felloff.net/usr/cinap_lenrek/9front/9front-8586.006c4d7ffcf24ab3013f7b4cf64034ad182a6e96.pi3.img.gz.torrent

if anything looks good, we are going to make a release
the upcoming weekend.

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] release candidate
@ 2021-07-16  4:47 ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2021-07-16  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth cinap_lenrek@felloff.net:
> most recent iso build for testing:
>
> http://lux.felloff.net/usr/cinap_lenrek/9front/9front-8586.006c4d7ffcf24ab3013f7b4cf64034ad182a6e96.386.iso.gz.torrent
> http://lux.felloff.net/usr/cinap_lenrek/9front/9front-8586.006c4d7ffcf24ab3013f7b4cf64034ad182a6e96.amd64.iso.gz.torrent
> http://lux.felloff.net/usr/cinap_lenrek/9front/9front-8586.006c4d7ffcf24ab3013f7b4cf64034ad182a6e96.pi.img.gz.torrent
> http://lux.felloff.net/usr/cinap_lenrek/9front/9front-8586.006c4d7ffcf24ab3013f7b4cf64034ad182a6e96.pi3.img.gz.torrent
>
> if anything looks good, we are going to make a release
> the upcoming weekend.

Any reason why pi3 is provided but not pi4?  I don't know the
differences between the two other than diff'ing archbcm^(3 4).c ,
which look to be substantive.

* Re: [9front] release candidate
@ 2021-07-16  5:40   ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2021-07-16  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, unobe

the pi3 image is the one you use on the rpi4, afaiac.

-rodri

@ 2021-07-16  6:04     ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2021-07-16  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Rodrigo G. López <rgl@antares-labs.eu>:
> the pi3 image is the one you use on the rpi4, afaiac.

Thanks rodri.  Do you know why there are two CONF settings, and why I
would ever want to use CONF=pi4 instead of CONF=pi3?

* Re: [9front] release candidate
@ 2021-07-16  8:24       ` theinicke
From: theinicke @ 2021-07-16  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth unobe@cpan.org:
> Quoth Rodrigo G. López <rgl@antares-labs.eu>:
> > the pi3 image is the one you use on the rpi4, afaiac.
>
> Thanks rodri.  Do you know why there are two CONF settings, and why I
> would ever want to use CONF=pi4 instead of CONF=pi3?

CONF=pi4 is for building the kernel for rpi4 (this IS needed),
but the image is built in /sys/lib/dist/mkfile and pi3 img
is going to contain arm64 binaries, pi3 kernel AND pi4 kernel + config

--
Tobias Heinicke

* Re: [9front] release candidate
@ 2021-07-16  8:36       ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2021-07-16  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

because the raspberry pi4 is sufficiently different
from the pi3 so it has its own kernel config.

for example, the pi4 has a built in ethernet controller
and pci attached xhci.

also memory addresses for peripherals are quite
different.

both pi3 and pi4 are arm64, so they can all share
the same root filesystem and binaries. but need
different kernels.

--

@ 2021-07-16  8:41   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2021-07-16  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

it is called pi3 because the raspberry pi version 3 was the
first one that supported arm64 architecture. but it also
includes the pi4 kernel of course as its the same architecture
(tho needs a distinct kernel).

maybe we need to rename it to pi64 or arm64 because alot of
people get confused about this all the time.

--

@ 2021-07-16  9:21     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-07-16  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 10:41:23AM +0200, cinap_lenrek@felloff.net wrote:
> it is called pi3 because the raspberry pi version 3 was the
> first one that supported arm64 architecture. but it also
> includes the pi4 kernel of course as its the same architecture
> (tho needs a distinct kernel).
>
> maybe we need to rename it to pi64 or arm64 because alot of
> people get confused about this all the time.
>
> --
> cinap

It says pretty clearly, right on the download page, which one is for
which.

Die PI.IMG-Datei kann f�r Raspberry Pi 1, 2 und 3. Die Datei PI3.IMG
kann f�r Raspberry Pi 3 und 4 verwendet werden.

But maybe some additions to the build instructions are in order.

khm

* Re: [9front] German changelog and stuff (was: release candidate)
@ 2021-07-16 14:10       ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-07-16 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt H Maier

16.07.2021 11:21:51 Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net>:
> It says pretty clearly, right on the download page, which one is for
> which.
>
> Die PI.IMG-Datei kann f�r Raspberry Pi 1, 2 und 3. Die Datei PI3.IMG
> kann f�r Raspberry Pi 3 und 4 verwendet werden.

Iirc the translation in the last German changelog was pretty
auto-translated, even the encoding was ... weird (I assume it's a joke on
utf8).

Should I proofread the automated translation the next time?

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] German changelog and stuff (was: release candidate)
@ 2021-07-16 14:47         ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2021-07-16 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

all errors intentional (unless they’re not).

sl

@ 2021-07-16 17:35           ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-07-16 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

yes, it was all on purpose...
i guess now that the content of 9front is so well maintained we need
to put special efforts like this to maintain our anti-professionalism

@ 2021-07-16 18:16         ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-07-16 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de>:

> 16.07.2021 11:21:51 Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net>:
> > It says pretty clearly, right on the download page, which one is for
> > which.
> >
> > Die PI.IMG-Datei kann f�r Raspberry Pi 1, 2 und 3. Die Datei PI3.IMG
> > kann f�r Raspberry Pi 3 und 4 verwendet werden.
>
> Iirc the translation in the last German changelog was pretty
> auto-translated, even the encoding was ... weird (I assume it's a joke on
> utf8).
>
> Should I proofread the automated translation the next time?
>
> sirjofri

the joke was that I committed a german 'mit' pun without
speaking german.

* Re: [9front] release candidate
@ 2021-07-16 19:42     ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2021-07-16 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth cinap_lenrek@felloff.net:
> it is called pi3 because the raspberry pi version 3 was the
> first one that supported arm64 architecture. but it also
> includes the pi4 kernel of course as its the same architecture
> (tho needs a distinct kernel).
>
> maybe we need to rename it to pi64 or arm64 because alot of
> people get confused about this all the time.

Thanks, I hadn't looked at the download page, which khm pointed out
explained the difference.

* Re: [9front] release candidate
@ 2021-07-16 19:47         ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2021-07-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth cinap_lenrek@felloff.net:
> because the raspberry pi4 is sufficiently different
> from the pi3 so it has its own kernel config.
>
> for example, the pi4 has a built in ethernet controller
> and pci attached xhci.
>
> also memory addresses for peripherals are quite
> different.
>
> both pi3 and pi4 are arm64, so they can all share
> the same root filesystem and binaries. but need
> different kernels.

I had never tried using CONF=pi3, but I suppose what is really
controlling which kernel is being used is config.txt which I hadn't
looked at closely until you pointed out the image you build has both
kernels.  So I would have to deliberately copy /arm64/pi3 to pi4 to
mess things up, or change config.txt directly.

* Re: [9front] release candidate
@ 2021-07-17  0:09           ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2021-07-17  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> So I would have to deliberately copy /arm64/pi3 to pi4 to
> mess things up, or change config.txt directly.

what? theres no pi3 or pi4 file in /arm64.

the kernel files are named /arm64/9pi3 and /arm64/9pi4.

why would you override them with each other?

that doesnt make any sense.

the pi3 kernel is for the raspberry pi 3.
and the pi4 kernel is for raspberry pi 4.

a raspberry pi 3 wont work with the pi 4 kernel.

and the raspberry pi 4 wont work with the pi 3 kernel.

both files are build in the images. the same as with
the 32 bit pi image, which has kernels for pi1, and pi2.

the raspi's bootloader allows you to specify different
kernel files for each model by using different
sections in the ini file.

all this is documented on the raspberry pi site,
this is out of scope for us to document their
bootloader configuration.

--

@ 2021-07-17  0:52             ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2021-07-17  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth cinap_lenrek@felloff.net:
> > So I would have to deliberately copy /arm64/pi3 to pi4 to
> > mess things up, or change config.txt directly.
>
> what? theres no pi3 or pi4 file in /arm64.
>
> the kernel files are named /arm64/9pi3 and /arm64/9pi4.

I miswrote from memory having the CONF value in mind, and both the
files should have a prefixed '9', as you wrote.  Other than that, most
of the remainder of what you wrote is us speaking past each other.

* Re: [9front] German changelog and stuff (was: release candidate)
@ 2021-07-17  3:08           ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2021-07-17  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

all in favor of switching entirely to fake german?

@ 2021-07-17  4:59             ` Alexander Shendi
From: Alexander Shendi @ 2021-07-17  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, Eli Cohen

My vote goes to fake Yiddish or Pig Latin.

--
Ceci n'est pas un courriel.

* Re: [9front] German changelog and stuff (was: release candidate)
@ 2021-07-17  5:16               ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2021-07-17  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Shendi; +Cc: 9front

the cats and I have already pushed every deal off the table. we're not
sure how to cut a better bargain. there is clearly nothing left we can
do but email jokes back and forth.

nous ne blah-ons pas?

@ 2021-07-17 13:35             ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2021-07-17 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> all in favor of switching entirely to fake german?

no. otherwise it ruins the joke.

--
cinap