* Re: [9front] wanted: ssh server, tmux-alike (no offense, hubfs)
       [not found] <D7C0B9052E9D2EE1EBF66ECBD03A8BFB@ewsd.inri.net>
@ 2019-12-18  9:12 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-12-18  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, sl

detachable vt then? i guess this is for curses programs?
ssh server is a separate bounty?
"no offense" - but what's missing in hubfs?

@ 2019-12-18 15:45   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2019-12-18 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On December 18, 2019 4:12:13 AM EST, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>detachable vt then? i guess this is for curses programs?
>ssh server is a separate bounty?
>"no offense" - but what's missing in hubfs?

curses has nothing to do with it.

i want to ssh directly to 9front from environments where drawterm -G is not available (phones, etc.), and resume long running processes (ircrc, nedmail, etc.). currently i ssh to an openbsd shell server and run drawterm -G inside tmux.

labs plan 9 had an ssh1 server, but i was never able to get it to work. iirc it wanted to use tokens of some kind.

hubfs does exactly what i want, re: tmux, but does strange things when the buffer fills up. it has been some time since i experimented with it, though, so maybe revisiting it and simply paying mycroftiv would be in order.

sl

* Re: [9front] wanted: ssh server, tmux-alike (no offense, hubfs)
@ 2019-12-18 22:17     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-12-18 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, Stanley Lieber

yeah. i'd say if something is missing mycroftiv or burnzez will be happy about feature requests. its very different these days :)

i understand the ssh server thing. just out of symmetry it's an obvious feature :)

@ 2019-12-19  4:24       ` Jacob Moody
From: Jacob Moody @ 2019-12-19  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

is the labs ssh1 sources available somewhere?

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 4:32 PM hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:

> yeah. i'd say if something is missing mycroftiv or burnzez will be happy about feature requests. its very different these days :)
>
> i understand the ssh server thing. just out of symmetry it's an obvious feature :)
>
> Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
>
> >On December 18, 2019 4:12:13 AM EST, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>detachable vt then? i guess this is for curses programs?
> >>ssh server is a separate bounty?
> >>"no offense" - but what's missing in hubfs?
> >

> >curses has nothing to do with it.
> >
> >i want to ssh directly to 9front from environments where drawterm -G is
> >not available (phones, etc.), and resume long running processes (ircrc,
> >nedmail, etc.). currently i ssh to an openbsd shell server and run
> >drawterm -G inside tmux.
> >
> >labs plan 9 had an ssh1 server, but i was never able to get it to work.
> >iirc it wanted to use tokens of some kind.
> >
> >hubfs does exactly what i want, re: tmux, but does strange things when
> >the buffer fills up. it has been some time since i experimented with
> >it, though, so maybe revisiting it and simply paying mycroftiv would be
> >in order.
> >
> >sl
>
> --

Jacob Moody
ISEAGE

* Re: [9front] wanted: ssh server, tmux-alike (no offense, hubfs)
@ 2019-12-19  5:39         ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2019-12-19  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On December 18, 2019 11:24:00 PM EST, Jacob Moody <jsmoody@iastate.edu> wrote:
>is the labs ssh1 sources available somewhere?

iirc it used to be in 9front, should still be in the iso on 9p.io.

sl

* Re: [9front] wanted: ssh server, tmux-alike (no offense, hubfs)
@ 2019-12-18 17:27 mycroftiv
From: mycroftiv @ 2019-12-18 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

You might take a look also at consolefs(4) which I believe could be configured to do pretty much what hubfs does.
There are a fair amount of knobs on hubfs, but some awkward things like the lack of replay-sync between stdout and stderr remain.
As to whether a specific combination of use-case, application, and user will end up producing the desired results, no guarantees.
If you do decide to experiment with hubfs, I'll try to tech-support. I'm more irc/gridchat oriented than email though in general.
-mycro