* [9front] Ratify questions
@ 2022-04-11 16:32 sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-04-11 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello all,

After I received lots of spam mails in my standard inbox I tried using
ratfs on my mail server. It seems to work according to the man page.

However, I have some wildcard blocks for certain domains configured and
noticed that mails from these domains still come through. My
configuration lines look like this:

   *block example.com!*
   *block *.example.com!*

Why? What could possibly go wrong?

The other question is more general. Managing block domains manually is
tedious and doesn't save you from all sources. Integrating spamhaus (for
example) would be a great addition. Has somebody tried that?

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Ratify questions
@ 2022-04-11 17:25 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-04-11 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

validatesender checks /mail/lib/spamhaus, i update it via cron.

i still receive tons of spam.

sl

> On Apr 11, 2022, at 12:32 PM, sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> After I received lots of spam mails in my standard inbox I tried using ratfs on my mail server. It seems to work according to the man page.
>
> However, I have some wildcard blocks for certain domains configured and noticed that mails from these domains still come through. My configuration lines look like this:
>
>    *block example.com!*
>    *block *.example.com!*
>
> Why? What could possibly go wrong?
>
> The other question is more general. Managing block domains manually is tedious and doesn't save you from all sources. Integrating spamhaus (for example) would be a great addition. Has somebody tried that?
>
> sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Ratify questions
@ 2022-04-11 17:52 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2022-04-11 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i wrote a  spamhaus backend, jus simple rc code, i will dig it out.

i also extended ratfs a bit to allow you to block by reverse dns address. this allows you to block dialup/adsl/cable modem addresses easily as, at the time most of my spam came from botnets on peoples windows machines.

i probably still have that too.

-Steve

> On 11 Apr 2022, at 5:33 pm, sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> After I received lots of spam mails in my standard inbox I tried using ratfs on my mail server. It seems to work according to the man page.
>
> However, I have some wildcard blocks for certain domains configured and noticed that mails from these domains still come through. My configuration lines look like this:
>
>    *block example.com!*
>    *block *.example.com!*
>
> Why? What could possibly go wrong?
>
> The other question is more general. Managing block domains manually is tedious and doesn't save you from all sources. Integrating spamhaus (for example) would be a great addition. Has somebody tried that?
>
> sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Ratify questions
@ 2022-04-11 20:54   ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-04-11 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello Stanley,

11.04.2022 19:25:10 Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>:
> validatesender checks /mail/lib/spamhaus, i update it via cron.

My mail server setup is quite old (or a little corrupt), I don't have a
validatesender in my /mail/lib at all. I'll have to look where I can get
that.

> i still receive tons of spam.

That's unfortunate. I hoped this would be better. On the other hand, I
assume your mail address is published more often than mine?

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Ratify questions
@ 2022-04-11 21:31     ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-04-11 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)