From: unobe@cpan.org
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] vnc: fix farsi key symbols
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 19:38:33 -0700	[thread overview]

Quoth Jacob Moody <moody@mail.posixcafe.org>:
> I was told these were pulled from the openbsd keysymdef.h.
> I dont currently have an openbsd around but I believe this is the file, and these lines specifically:
>
> https://github.com/openbsd/xenocara/blob/d1a8d3ab034044bab40925e51534100a444dd3d6/proto/xorgproto/include/X11/keysymdef.h#L1011-L1100
>
> It seems that they have elected to make the "new" unicode mapping the default, alongside the existing older keysyms in a similar way this
> patch does. Likewise the X11/keysym.h on my local loonix system has the same mapping. I agree that on paper the use of the new mappings
> for these codepoints specifically is a bit weird, but it seems to be consistently weird with "upstream".

Thanks moody.

In that case, more mappings like Arabic percent, the Arabic digits
(not Farsi) etc.  could be updated to match.  But that's for another
day.

As a side note which made me interested in this patch: I've only
recently started using more Arabic, but haven't used it via VNC,
mainly because the computer I'd VNC into has a much higher resolution
than my 9front display, so I only see a portion of the screen.  I
don't see an easy way to scale the viewing window like some other VNC
viewers do.  So being able to scale, or have the ability to view a
different part of the remote buffer, is a blocker.