From: Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 09:48:40 -0400	[thread overview]

1ess; walk /mail/queue|wc -l                              6906

divide this number roughly in three to get the number of presently undelivered messages (to all lists; this machine serves all/only 9front/cat-v/werc lists). of those, the vast majority are transient dns lookup failures for good domains. we alleviated this somewhat already by extending the lookup timeout, but clearly something else is going on.

all of this started when I moved the server back to 9cloud from ramnode. the first thing we noticed was the default setup hammered the now non-ssd disk by launching runq every time it processed a message. this brought the whole machine to a crawl (this machine also serves the websites -- people complained). that was solved by parallelizing a limited number of runqs and launching them periodically from cron. the side effect of this is exposing all kinds of weirdness that was previously masked by the never-ending blast of runqs, which, in spite of transient failures, always eventually clears out the queue.

I'm not yet sure why the transient dns failures are happening.

sl