From: chris@chrisfroeschl.de
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: [9front] Printing configuration
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 17:35:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello all,

I'm trying to setup printing on my 9front desktop.  I have a Canon
TS6300 at home, which I would like to directly send print requests
from the desktop via USB and preferable wireless network request.

I'm having a hard time setting up my /sys/lib/lp/devices config even
after reading /sys/doc/lp.ps and lp(1) and was hoping for someone with
perhaps a similar requirement and a working config to share.

My current two device setups are probably total bogus, but here we go:

; tail -n2 /sys/lib/lp/devices
homeTS6300wifi	- 192.168.178.82 tcp!192.168.178.82!515	- post+nohead generic generic generic - tcppost -
homeTS6300usb	- /dev/usb/ep13.1/data - - post+nohead generic nospool - - - -
;

I manage to get following error with the wifi printer:

; lp -dhomeTS6300wifi test.ps
Jun  5 17:15:15 failed to receive ACK, received <0x1> instead
Jun  5 17:15:15 failed to receive ACK before sending data
;

The printer itself works of course on other operating systems with
standard manufacturer documentation.
515 seems to be the proper port and gives something back when using
telnet.

I assume that the printer supports postscript, but I didn't seem to
find a explicit spec mentioning it.  I might be wrong assuming that.
Although plain text alone would already be a blessing.

The wifi printer seems to send something apparently with lpd settings
refering to the log, but nothing really happens:

; tail -n2 /sys/lib/lp/devices
homeTS6300wifi	- 192.168.178.82 tcp!192.168.178.82!515	- post+nohead generic lpdspool lpstat - tcppost -
homeTS6300usb	- /dev/usb/ep13.1/data - - post+nohead generic nospool - - - -
; cat /sys/lib/lp/log/homeTS6300wifi.st
connecting to tcp!192.168.178.82!515
 trying from port 721...connected
: 69.13% sent
: 100.00% sent
11850 bytes sent, status: waiting for end of job

I tried lpd settings because my printer test page (printed out on
through other device) mentions LPD as enabled.  Other settings
mentioned are:

- WSD Printing => enabled
- RAW Printing => enabled
- Bonjour => enabled
- LLMNR => enabled
- SNMP = enabled
- PictBridge Commun. => enable

I hope I provided enough information for someone to perhaps see a weak
point or general advice for my configuration.  Refering me to
additional resources could also help.

chris