* [9front] usb3 sata adapters and a pi4
@ 2021-03-24 22:12 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-03-24 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

hi,

i am trying to get a usb3 sata adapter to work with a p4. i have a startech adapter (well liked by the linux community) and a eluteng adapter (not liked). neither adapter is detected when plugged into a usb3 socket but both work well with a usb2 socket.

Caveat: i am using richard miller’s pi4 image, which has a different usb2 driver from 9front, but the usbhxci driver used for usb3 is copied from 9front.

has anyone in the 9front community had success with usb3 sata adapters on a pi4?

thanks,

-Steve

* Re: [9front] usb3 sata adapters and a pi4
@ 2021-03-25  9:16 ` Daniel Morandini
From: Daniel Morandini @ 2021-03-25  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> hi,
Hi Steve,

> has anyone in the 9front community had success with usb3 sata adapters on a pi4?
I’m using a supTronics X835 V1.1 board paired with a rpi4, 9front.
Has been working like a charm for months, highly recommended!

Cheers,
dan

* Re: [9front] usb3 sata adapters and a pi4
@ 2021-03-30 19:33 ` theinicke
From: theinicke @ 2021-03-30 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:

> hi,
>
> i am trying to get a usb3 sata adapter to work with a p4. i have a startech adapter (well liked by the linux community) and a eluteng adapter (not liked). neither adapter is detected when plugged into a usb3 socket but both work well with a usb2 socket.
>
> Caveat: i am using richard miller’s pi4 image, which has a different usb2 driver from 9front, but the usbhxci driver used for usb3 is copied from 9front.
>
> has anyone in the 9front community had success with usb3 sata adapters on a pi4?
>
> thanks,
>
> -Steve

Hi Steve,

having had the same issue I can tell you that I had done some research/testing and have found out that (at least for me) adapters that use VL716 (VIA Labs) as controller work perfectly well. To be precise I have been running my main fs on a pi4 with a usb3 (type c) to sata case of orico that has said controller and since early 2020 no issues so far.

Hope this is useful,

-Tobias