From: risto.salminen@gmx.com
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] upas/fs: copy messages between IMAP folders
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 12:44:39 +0300	[thread overview]

Hello,

sl wrote:
> now I get it. I observe the same behavior when
> running commands on a local 9front against a
> remote 9front imap server.

That is indeed how it currently works, with any
remote IMAP server, not just 9front one.  The
patch attempts to improve the situation in the
IMAP client end.

sl wrote:
> however, using k9 mail client on android
> against a remote 9front imap server, I can
> copy or move messages between folders on the
> remote server with no problem.

This is actually irrelevant to my patch, but
good to know that this works.  It is just the
IMAP client, namely upas/fs, which, as far as
I understand, without my patch does not support
telling the remote IMAP server to copy messages
between IMAP folders, or have any other means
to put messages to the server.  As a detail,
IMAP, as a protocol, does not support moving
messages between folders, so moving has to be
implemented by first copying the message to the
target folder and then deleting the original
message from the source folder.  I chose to
offload this logic to the mail client, as
presented in the upas/nedmail patch, which
could also be adapted to acme's Mail.

Thanks,
rsal