I did experiment FYI. I wasted an hour or more because I assumed you needed a colon after the IP or domain name. That one mistake really makes things confusing. When I removed the colon and included -r and -m it seemed I was getting further away. Again you showed very clear concrete examples. Those examples are nowhere in the man page. The manpage is confusing and I stand by my intial statements. Your examples show -m and -r When I used them on the same line I still had errors. The man page shows a bunch of other flags which is the first step to making things confusing. -abdRUGM [ -- ssh-options ] [user@host | -c cmdline | -p Normally that would be the best example and yet again I went down the wrong direction. Sorry for the disturbance