* [9front] [OT] Drawterm mysteries
@ 2022-06-02  7:42 Alexander Shendi
From: Alexander Shendi @ 2022-06-02  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello list,

On Plan 9 I can display graphics by writing to /dev/draw/<n>/ctl. Can I achieve the same on Unix-like systems (e.g. OpenBSD) by using drawterm(1)?

Or is drawterm only for connecting to Plan 9 cpu servers?

Many thanks in advance,

/Alexander

* Re: [9front] [OT] Drawterm mysteries
@ 2022-06-02  8:25 ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2022-06-02  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, Alexander Shendi

you definitely can. drawterm emulates a 9front terminal, full with graphics, sound and networking functionality through the host system.

-rodri

@ 2022-06-02 10:06   ` Alexander Shendi
From: Alexander Shendi @ 2022-06-02 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I'm afraid that I was unclear.

What I meant to ask was:

Can I run the program producing the graphics on the local "Unix" machine instead of a plan9 cpu?

I tried drawterm for Android and it prompts for a CPU server.

Again, TIA.

@ 2022-06-02 10:09     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-06-02 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

in that case: no.

drawterm only provides a display, keyboard, mouse, and some others like that.
it cannot execute programs apart from the rcpu stuff that it's wrapped
around in order to cpu into another server.