From: Kyle Nusbaum <knusbaum@sdf.org>
To: 9front@9front.org, ori@eigenstate.org, jamos@oboj.net
Subject: Re: [9front] Netsurf 3.9 for Plan 9 (work in progress)
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 14:14:10 -0600	[thread overview]

A shared repo would be nice.

My attempt at using webfs has hit a snag, which is that webfs does not expose the http response header in any way, as far as I can tell.
I have it partially working in that it is getting and returning webpage data, but netsurf wants the full response header.

I think webfs is not the right solution for this. It is not the general-purpose http service I thought it was. For this purpose, it has several issues. It provides no access to the raw header bytes. We could still use it as a hacky solution if we could reassemble the http header, but webfs mangles header names when creating the header files and leaves out cookies.

However, since netsurf seems to do all the parsing of the response except separating header from body, and delivers the request URL and post data in pre-packaged form, I think it's probably easier to just use a raw /net/tcp connection.

On January 2, 2020 9:30:50 PM CST, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
>> Forgive me for any duplicates.  I mistakenly sent a copy of this
>> mail with HTML.
>>
>> This work is neat!
>>
>> With Ori's changes I see the interface rendered.
>>
>> I think the mouse handling is using absolute coordinates, because
>> the address bar only works if I position the window in the upper left
>> corner of my screen.
>>
>> I can't get the program to actually render anything, even file:///
>> resources, but I can see them getting fetched.
>>
>> I get CSSBase displayed at the bottom of the screen, seeming to
>> correspond to the NSERROR_CSS_BASE error, but I can't figure out why
>> that's happening.  I'm guessing that's why nothing is rendered, but
>> that may be a faulty assumption.
>
>I also haven't seen them render, but I got it to show the ui before
>I had to run out the door, so I didn't try very hard.
>
>> The fetcher interface looks pretty straightforward and I think it
>> shouldn't be too difficult to write a webfs fetcher.  I think I will
>> try that in my spare time.
>>

>Cool.
>
>If we're going to have multiple people hacking on this, it
>probably makes sense to set up a git repository.
>
>It'd be best to use upstream and fork a plan9 branch, so we can
>merge their changes and start upstreaming our local diffs more
>easily.

-- Kyle