* [9front] making permanent changes to /dev/kbmap
@ 2024-06-22 14:29 alex
From: alex @ 2024-06-22 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello,

on my Dell Latitude 5490 I found myself without the "<" and ">" keys (expecting them between shift and "y"). I remembered an article from sl for the MNT Reform, where a special key was customized. I've edited /dev/kbmap and it worked, but after a reboot, my changed values (0x3c, 0x3e and 0x7c for 44, 45 and 46 in layer mod4) are all 0 again.

Do I need to set up a script in my profile, setting these values after every log in, or is there a way to make my changes permanent?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Alex

* Re: [9front] making permanent changes to /dev/kbmap
@ 2024-06-23 11:17 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2024-06-23 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Adding it to $home/lib/profile is one way,
but remember that this is run also on rcpu
logins. Of course, you can make sure to only
apply it when ~ $service terminal and
~ $terminal *reform* ...

Probably better approach is adding that to
/cfg/$sysname/termrc or... Which only runs
at boot before the login.

Or make a "reform" keyboard map file and add it to
/sys/src/9/boot/bootfs.proto,
including it into the kernel's bootfs.paq
file system:

Then set kbmap=reform in your plan9.ini.

see /sys/src/9/boot/bootrc:

	if(! ~$#kbmap 0){
		if(test -f /sys/lib/kbmap/$kbmap){
			echo 'setting kbmap to' $kbmap
			cat /sys/lib/kbmap/$kbmap >/dev/kbmap
		}
	}

That way, the keyboard will behave even before
the file-system is mounted.

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] making permanent changes to /dev/kbmap
@ 2024-06-26  6:52   ` alex
From: alex @ 2024-06-26  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello cinap,

thank you very much!

I'm not sure if I implemented your last suggestion correctly, but it works:

Since I didn't know how to customize /sys/src/9/boot/bootfs.proto, I added a kbmap to /sys/lib/kbmap/, specified it in plan9.ini and rebuilt the kernel.

This worked wonderfully, thanks again!

Best regards,
Alex