* [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-10 23:37 Eckard Brauer
From: Eckard Brauer @ 2021-02-10 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

After having set up a few Raspberries with 9front I'm going to set up a
thinkpad. This went fine so far, but I have some issues left, maybe
there are already solutions not yet in the fqa:

* how is it possible to mount a dosfs from USB stick plugged in after
  boot (when already present at boot I can find /dev/sdU*)?

* where can the timezone be set after install (forgot to do that)?

* is there a way to either stop screen blanking or to make the screen
  reappear after blanking by using keyboard or mouse?

* how to make IWL wifi work (/lib/firmware already has the iwn-*
  files; device is Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb))?

Eckard

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-11  0:08 ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2021-02-11  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

> * how is it possible to mount a dosfs from USB stick plugged in after
>   boot (when already present at boot I can find /dev/sdU*)?

They should appear as /shr/sdU* (see fqa 8.6.3)

> * where can the timezone be set after install (forgot to do that)?

iirc you just cp /adm/timezone/yourtimezone /adm/timezone/local.

> * is there a way to either stop screen blanking or to make the screen
>   reappear after blanking by using keyboard or mouse?

You can disable it via `blanktime' as in vga(3).
iirc w541 is haswell, perhaps you could give igfx a try by
specifying monitor=auto.  That's the intel graphics driver
and if it works, blanking will work as normal.  Most machines
with igfx chips from sandybridge or earlier on have this
problem...

> * how to make IWL wifi work (/lib/firmware already has the iwn-*
>   files; device is Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb))?

I think that chip isn't supported yet.

Hope this helps,

qwx

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-11  9:35   ` Eckard Brauer
From: Eckard Brauer @ 2021-02-11  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> > * how is it possible to mount a dosfs from USB stick plugged in
> > after boot (when already present at boot I can find /dev/sdU*)?
>

> They should appear as /shr/sdU* (see fqa 8.6.3)

yes, but only when plugged at boot time. can i trigger device
recognition manually after plugging a stick at runtime?

>  [...]
>
> iirc you just cp /adm/timezone/yourtimezone /adm/timezone/local.

Tnx - didn't find it in man or fqa (maybe my fault).

>  [...]
>
> You can disable it via `blanktime' as in vga(3).
> iirc w541 is haswell, perhaps you could give igfx a try by
> specifying monitor=auto.  That's the intel graphics driver
> and if it works, blanking will work as normal.  Most machines
> with igfx chips from sandybridge or earlier on have this
> problem...

it's haswell - will play a bit with it... would it be possible (and
worth) to activate the nvidia chip (K2100M)?

> > * how to make IWL wifi work (/lib/firmware already has the iwn-*
> >   files; device is Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb))?
>
> I think that chip isn't supported yet.

ah.. still a real challenge left :)

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-11 10:12     ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2021-02-11 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> > They should appear as /shr/sdU* (see fqa 8.6.3)
>
> yes, but only when plugged at boot time. can i trigger device
> recognition manually after plugging a stick at runtime?

Actually for them to show up under /shr, they'd have to show
under /dev too, my mistake.  Might be a driver issue, I defer
to others here...

> it's haswell - will play a bit with it... would it be possible (and
> worth) to activate the nvidia chip (K2100M)?

No, the nvidia driver is ancient and you wouldn't really gain anything
from it.

> > I think that chip isn't supported yet.
>
> ah.. still a real challenge left :)

Actually 8260 is supported, cinap added code for 8000 and 9000 cards,
so 7260 might not be too difficult to add.

Hope this helps,

qwx

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-11 10:38       ` kemal
From: kemal @ 2021-02-11 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> > > I think that chip isn't supported yet.
> >
> > ah.. still a real challenge left :)
>
> Actually 8260 is supported, cinap added code for 8000 and 9000 cards,
> so 7260 might not be too difficult to add.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> qwx
i think that in openbsd iwm driver there was seperate firmware loading functions for 7000 and 8000 families of cards and some 7000 + 7260/3160 specific code. there seems to be not a big difference. leaving the iwm code below.

https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/src/sys/dev/pci/if_iwm.c?rev=1.317&content-type=text/plain

-kemal

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-11 15:49         ` Eckard Brauer
From: Eckard Brauer @ 2021-02-11 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Am Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:38:13 +0000
schrieb kemal <kemali13@protonmail.com>:

>  [...]
>  [...]
> >
> > Actually 8260 is supported, cinap added code for 8000 and 9000
> > cards, so 7260 might not be too difficult to add.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > qwx
> i think that in openbsd iwm driver there was seperate firmware
> 7260/3160 specific code. there seems to be not a big difference.
> leaving the iwm code below.
>
> https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/src/sys/dev/pci/if_iwm.c?rev=1.317&content-type=text/plain
>
> -kemal
Thanks all, will have a look on it, beside the fact that I'm not
experienced in kernel or plan9 programming at all...

Eckard

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-12  0:20 ` Eckard Brauer
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Eckard Brauer @ 2021-02-12  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Just for a summary:

> * how is it possible to mount a dosfs from USB stick plugged in after
>   boot (when already present at boot I can find /dev/sdU*)?

problem is fixed - forgot to install the kernel after compilation.
Stupid man on the keyboard - please ignore

> * where can the timezone be set after install (forgot to do that)?

copying timezone file to /lib/timezone/local didn't work. $timezone is
set correctly, but funny, date or clock shows GMT

> * is there a way to either stop screen blanking or to make the screen
>   reappear after blanking by using keyboard or mouse?

minor problem. setting monitor=auto or even monitor=igfx both seem to
leave me without a working #i device. will disable screen timeout.

> * how to make IWL wifi work (/lib/firmware already has the iwn-*
>   files; device is Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb))?

there seems some preparation already done in etheriwl.c, as family 7000
is mentioned in code, but some work seems to be needed. just inserted
some code for checking dev-id and setting firmware & family.

sysinfo attached for reference.

from postmaster@1ess:
The following attachment had content that we can't
prove to be harmless.  To avoid possible automatic
execution, we changed the content headers.
The original header was:

[-- Attachment #2.2: w541.sysinfo.suspect --]

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-12  7:58   ` Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) @ 2021-02-12  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, Eckard Brauer

Eckard Brauer writes:

> copying timezone file to /lib/timezone/local didn't work. $timezone is
> set correctly, but funny, date or clock shows GMT

The directory is /adm/timezone, not /lib ...

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-12  8:00   ` kemal
From: kemal @ 2021-02-12  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> copying timezone file to /lib/timezone/local didn't work. $timezone is
> set correctly, but funny, date or clock shows GMT

check http://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.6.3, it looks like your hardware
clock is UTC

-kemal

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-12 10:48     ` Eckard Brauer
From: Eckard Brauer @ 2021-02-12 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Am Fri, 12 Feb 2021 08:00:02 +0000
schrieb kemal <kemali13@protonmail.com>:

>  [...]
>
> check http://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.6.3, it looks like your
> hardware clock is UTC

Tnx - that's it... just was constantly looking at the wrong place.

And as Lyndon wrote, /adm/timezone is correct. Wrong memory while
constantly switching from P9 to Linux and back...

* Re: [9front] Thinkpad W541
@ 2021-02-12 17:39   ` kemal
From: kemal @ 2021-02-12 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> there seems some preparation already done in etheriwl.c, as family 7000
> is mentioned in code, but some work seems to be needed. just inserted
> some code for checking dev-id and setting firmware & family.
Hm, what does the driver do when you use it?