From: Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] this history(1) is scratched
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 19:35:05 -0800	[thread overview]

ori@eigenstate.org once said:
> Quoth qwx@sciops.net:
> > The thing is, this change is already a few months old, and I cannot
> > imagine that the script has not worked for anyone in all of this time,
> > including when it was first pushed, or that absolutely everyone has
> > been using the old C version without noticing it.  This behavior in
> > awk is surprising to me, but is not 9front-specific.  What the hell is
> > going on?  Can anyone else reproduce this?  Any idea what I could be
> > doing wrong?
>
> ...I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I've got the old history
> in my binds before the new one, so I didn't notice I was using the
> old one.

I think we all are. The default namespace set up by init(8) binds
/rc/bin after /$cputype/bin. A sysupdate(1) followed by a clean
build wouldn't blow away the old binary. Maybe we should detect
duplicate files in /bin and warn about them when updating.

% cat /bin/bindups
#!/bin/rc

rfork e
fs = `{cd /bin; ls | sort | uniq -d}
ds = `{ns | awk '$NF == "/bin" { print $(NF-1) }'}
>[2]/dev/null for(f in $fs) ls -ld $ds^/$f

Cheers,
  Anthony