From: nicolagi@sdf.org
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] /proc/n/fd format clarification
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 21:58:08 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Jun 05, 2021 at 09:26:16AM -0400, binary cat wrote:
[snip]
> So this mentions 3 things, a path, a version, and a type. This
> checks out, until you look at the supposed lengths. The path is
> supposed to be 8 bytes, which would be 16 hex digits, that's ok,
> but it says 4 bytes for the version, which would be 8 hex digits,
> and we don't see anything like that here. What's going on here?

It's just that the version isn't written in full, leading zeros are removed.
I'm not looking at 9front right now, but devproc.c in sys/src/9/port in 4e.
Grep for procqidwidth.
(I was a bit curious so I looked this up!)
I suspect version numbers never go up much in practice.
Paths are sometimes hashes of pathnames in implementations I've seen,
they're not counters, so I guess that's why they're not trimmed.
I'll let the experts set me straight now. :-)

HTH,
Nic