From: Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Containers
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 21:48:40 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 10:38:58PM -0500, Jubal Biggs wrote:
> Hey, general question; has anyone been able to set up a containerized
> service (Docker or otherwise) on Plan9? I guess it requires the Linux
> kernel, which would not be optimal to run on top of a Plan9 environment,
> but that sort of virtualization would open up a whole universe of
> possibilities.

Plan 9 doesn't need containerization; we have user-controllable
namespaces, which is the feature that Linux container tools poorly
imitate.  We do have some virtualization software, if you want to
artificially cripple your environment and then inadequately reconstruct
the features you left behind by booting a Linux kernel.

khm