From: Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Re: commit 671d8daa0f2d7f067b8ab3d547adbd718da93fe9
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 08:02:25 -0800	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 07:53:21AM -0600, Jacob Moody wrote:

> Sure, but I admit this feels a bit like a stretch. The reason the original
> present tense wording bothered me was that I feel like many groups have
> expanded a great deal of effort in order to no longer be called English colonies.
> So referring to them as such felt disrespectful. The original does not strike
> me as some commentary on modern day imperialism.

As sl mentioned, previous generations found it amusing to refer to
former colonies (especially the US) as colonies.  It wasn't
disrespectful of the colonies but instead meant to be derisive toward
the British Empire in a ha-ha-only-serious way.  Another salient point
is that there is no American law establishing a specific calendar; even
after the Revolution, most states (either constitutionally or among
their earliest statutory actions) explicitly declared adoption of
British law as of a certain date, to be modified therewith by any
American laws that happen to conflict or override.  These 'reception
statutes' basically forked what was known as common law, which is why we
keep hearing about ancient British insanity when the Supreme Court is
particularly desperate to legislate from the bench.

I'll note however that the actual Calendar (New Style) Act 1750 does
not use the word 'colonies' at all, instead referring to his Majesty's
dominions and countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America, belonging
or subject to the crown of Great Britain.

I propse, in lieu of "England and her colonies," the message be
explicit, that the program will use the calendar as described in the
Calendar (New Style) Act 1750 -- or if you really want to stick it to
them, the British Calendar Act of 1751.

khm