From: sl@9front.org
To: 9front@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: /dev/wsys/*/screen not present for nested rio?
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 12:10:02 +0000	[thread overview]

> > > windows. If I start a nested rio instance, 'ls' still shows me that
> > > the file is present, but on access, it returns back saying file does
> > > not exist.
> >
> > Cannot reproduce. Make sure the screen number you are trying to access
> > actually exists in the nested rio. Compare the output of 'ls /dev/wsys'
> > in both the main rio and from within the nested rio.
>
> Thanks, actually cinap_lenrek told me that it is an intended behavior,
> that is rio/fsys.c has
>   if(strcmp(x->wname[i], "screen")==0 && access("/dev/screen",
> AEXIST)==0)
>      break;
> and it does not serve the screen in individual /dev/wsys because it is
> already provided in the /dev/screen. Though I suppose it would be
> interesting if I can get access to it. I was motivated by your example
> at http://9fans.net/archive/2012/04/204 to try and make a tiling
> window
> manager for rio. :) .

I think I understand what you're saying, now.

The reason I asked you to verify that the screen number you are trying
to access actually exists in the nested rio is because from your example:

	i.e from top:
	% ls /dev/wsys/1
	 /dev/wsys/1/screen
	% file /dev/wsys/1/screen
	plan9 image

	Now start a rio instance in the term, and do the same,
	% ls /dev/wsys/2
	 /dev/wsys/2/screen
	% file /dev/wsys/2/screen
	Unable to acces, file /dev/wsys/2/screen does not exist

it seemed as if /dev/wsys/2/ itself likely did not exist. Had you
really started two windows already within the nested rio?

This is what happens on my system:

	term% file /dev/wsys/1/screen
	/dev/wsys/1/screen: plan 9 image, depth 32

And from within a nested rio:

	term% file /dev/wsys/1/screen
	/dev/wsys/1/screen: plan 9 image, depth 32

And from within a third rio, nested within the first nested rio:

	term% file /dev/wsys/1/screen
	/dev/wsys/1/screen: plan 9 image, depth 32

In both nested rios there is no /dev/wsys/2/screen because there
is no second window at all:

	term% ls /dev/wsys/2
	ls: /dev/wsys/2: '/dev/wsys/2' does not exist

-sl