From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Argument lists in Plan 9 man pages
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 18:32:33 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

> I want both English and legibility. I don't think tabulating flag options
> violates any of this.  Clarity shouldn't replace depth.

And describing flags using out-dented paragraphs doesn't stop anyone from
writing prose within those paragraphs.  What frustrates me to no end with
the traditional Plan9 manpage layout is that you cannot find where the
flag description starts, when they are all buried inside inline text.

The typeset manpages have differential font helpers, but when you're
running man in a terminal window, flags get buried on the background
noise.

Manpages are supposed to be 'reference' pages.  That means visibly calling
out the flags and their usage.  Otherwise, they (the man pages) aren't
doing their job.

--lyndon