* difference cdrom boot and 9fat boot?
@ 2011-05-31  5:42 staalmannen
From: staalmannen @ 2011-05-31  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Dear,

I just made a native install of 9Front (nightly build from yesterday).
The live CD works
flawlessly and the install procedure runs without a hickup. However,
when booting from the livecd I get a system memory of 2047MB whereas
booting from my 9fat partition (via GRUB2) gives me a memory of 8MB
(1MB kernel, 6MB user, 39MB swap)
just before it crashes.

I had the same issue with a previous 9atom install, but there I could
resolve the issue by copying the 9pcf image from the official plan9
iso (which is a bit bigger: 3,4MB compared to 9atom/9front ~2,6MB) to
9fat. This solution will however not work with 9Front since it has a
different root file system. I found 9Front because I was searching for
a broadcom ethernet driver for Plan9 and ended up at 9Front (this
driver works great (on the live CD) btw!).  I checked a diff between
the official pcf and the 9front pcf configuration files. As far as I
can see, there are no obvious differences there that could explain why
the official 9pcf can detect the memory and the 9atom/9front 9pcf:es
can not (and also not why the official 9pcf is so much bigger).

What do you guys suggest? Should I revert to my 9atom/plan9 setup and
just copy the broadcom driver + the official plan9.iso pcf
configuration file for a recompile of the kernel or should I try to
solve the issue with the 9Front boot?

I have been editing my plan9.ini to avoid weird BIOS-related issues
with memory detection.
The weird thing though is that it works on the live CD. Do you guys
know what kind of black magick the cd boot might do that the 9fat boot
does not do?

For those interested, here is documentation of the hardware I am using
(yeah I know. Fedora might suck but I need it at work):
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_e908de8a-222b-4ffe-88c3-d5e66d7ae61e

Ps. Another question: The install procedure makes a small swap
partition in the Plan9 partition. Is it possible to use a Linux swap
partition for Plan9 instead? Ds.