From: sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Two file servers sharing an auth server
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 07:58:48 +0100 (GMT+01:00)	[thread overview]

03.11.2022 21:59:36 Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:

> i agree with all you say about cfs, however…
>
> beware, in my experience cfs is a real win where your bandwidth to the server is low.
>
> it is less helpful where the latency to the server is high (as cfs checks the file version number on every access).

I agree with everything you said. Back on spawngrid I built some web chat application (as an additional frontend for gridchat). It used long polling for chat messages and was fully rc based (rc-httpd). You can imagine how it really was impacting server performance, basically starting processes multiple times per second. Also process IDs rocketed into the sky very fast, I've never seen numbers that high. It felt like a forkbomb.

Then, mycroftiv told me about that and that fileserver load is very high and I had to find another solution. In my startup script I indeed just copied the executables (rc, cat, bc, ...) into a local ramfs and bound that over /bin so I don't have to change my programs. This improved everything.

Especially for script-based applications like that I can really recommend that. It's like preloading the binaries into memory before actually loading them. Works well for static stuff.

sirjofri