From: sl@stanleylieber.com
To: 9front@9front.org, sl@stanleylieber.com
Subject: Re: [9front] non-9front dhcp server -> /lib/ndb/local ignored?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 20:09:02 -0500	[thread overview]

> I have cpu server and auth server which I want to use from both home and internet.
> those names are:
> (1) hebe (or hebe.local) in home and hebe.nyx.link from internet
> (2) grid (or grid.local) in home and grid.nyx.link form internet
>
> I have plan9 terminal on virtualbox on macbook.
> that is, I use the terminal in two types of environment.
> (a) local wifi in my home with plan9 based DHCP and DNS.
> (b) mobile router wifi with mobile ISP based DHCP and DNS.
>
> of course we need fqdn in accessing from internet.

My setup is similar but slightly different.

In my (b) environment, I boot the 9front.iso livecd off of an image on
a USB stick and then bind my customizations (including /lib/ndb/local)
over the running system before launching my network configuration. My
9front terminal then gets an IP address from the free wifi access point
here in the building. I don't have any control over which address or what
settings my 9front terminal receives from that DHCP server. Once I've
received my DHCP lease my terminal *can* resolve values from ndb but
*cannot* operate on them:

	; ndb/query sys mars2
	sys=mars2 dom=mars2.inri.net ether=525400099935 ip=216.126.196.35 ipmask=255.255.255.224 ipgw=216.126.196.33 auth=mars2.inri.net authdom=mars2 dns=208.67.222.222 dns=208.67.220.220 mx=mars2.inri.net pref=5 txtrr=v=spf1 mx -all
	; ip/ping -n 3 mars2
	ip/ping: couldn't dial icmp!mars2!1: cs: can't translate address: dns: resource does not exist; negrcode
	;

Similarly, auth= authdom= entries in /lib/ndb/local are ignored, but
work fine when I add them manually to /net/ndb.

I'd point out again that my terminal here at work is using the exact
same /lib/ndb/local file as my machines at home, all of which can
successfully perform the ip/ping -n 3 mars2 operation, and recognize
auth servers, without needing to edit /net/ndb manually.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but the only real difference
I am aware of is that all of my machines at home are completely
controlled by Plan 9, while my terminal here at work gets its IP
address from a non-Plan 9 DHCP server.

> 	ns=hebe.loca

Is this a typo?

About your setup:

Doesn't your virtualbox terminal always see itself as being on its own
local network? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand you correctly,
your host OS gets its IP from the "mobile router wifi with mobile ISP based
DHCP and DNS," while your virtualbox terminal gets its IP from virtualbox
itself. Is your virtualbox terminal getting its IP from virtualbox via
DHCP, or is it configured in ndb with a static IP address?

sl