* [9front] Websocket Message Delimiters
@ 2020-12-12 12:47 Jstsmthrgk
From: Jstsmthrgk @ 2020-12-12 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I have recently been thinking about writing a websocket implementation
for plan9/9front. I kind of wanted it to work similar to tcpsrv and
tcpclient.

Whatever, I want to be able to just put it on stdin/stdout of e.g.
exportfs, but also preserve message delimiters in some way.

The problem is that websocket allows message lenghts of up to 64^2-1,
which will definitely not work with single writes.

Does anyone know of any other option than implementing it as a tcp-like
stream and dropping message delimiters?

As for why I want to make it, I want to be able to make services that
are interfaceable from browser javascript, maybe even a drawterm-web.

* Re: [9front] Websocket Message Delimiters
@ 2020-12-12 13:35 ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2020-12-12 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jstsmthrgk

Hey

You should know that there are already websocket implementations
available for plan9/9front

* Weebsocket is a magic executable for ip/httpd. It allows 9p over
websocket.
* Afaik there are multiple native javascript 9p libraries for websockets.
* And there's a drawterm web version. Afaik this also uses websockets and
9p directly.

As I can see there's still no pure-websocket implementation for custom
protocols, on the other hand 9p might be webbrowser-ready already, idk.

Personally I got weebsocket working, but the other end (the javascript
9p) is still missing in my project (gridchat web).

sirjofri