* git on labs distribution
@ 2020-01-27 23:20 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-01-27 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I just tried loading 9git onto the labs distribution,
It is all fine bar two small wrinkles.

There is a dependency on walk(1) which I picked up from 9front,
that has two tiny differences to the labs Bio library.

the other issue is the use of `$nl{ cmd } in rc(1) scripts.
the shell parser doesn't like this and I cannot see what it
is designed to do. Can someone explain?

-Steve

* Re: [9front] git on labs distribution
@ 2020-01-27 23:32 ` Alex Musolino
From: Alex Musolino @ 2020-01-27 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> the other issue is the use of `$nl{ cmd } in rc(1) scripts.
> the shell parser doesn't like this and I cannot see what it
> is designed to do. Can someone explain?

 From the 9front man page:

	`{command}
	`split {command}
		rc executes the command and reads its standard output,
		splitting it into a list of arguments, using characters
		in $ifs as separators.  If $ifs is not otherwise set,
		its value is ' \t\n'.  In the second form of the com-
		mand, split is used instead of $ifs.

The use of $nl (containing a literal newline) avoids having to
place extraneous quotes, escapes, and LFs throughout a script.

The man page is a little misleading here, I feel.  Setting
ifs=' \t\n' doesn't do what it seems to imply.  You actually
have to include literal tab and LF characters, i.e.:

ifs='
'

--
Cheers,
Alex Musolino

* Re: [9front] git on labs distribution
@ 2020-01-28  7:21 ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-01-28  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, 9front

> I just tried loading 9git onto the labs distribution,
> It is all fine bar two small wrinkles.
>
> There is a dependency on walk(1) which I picked up from 9front,
> that has two tiny differences to the labs Bio library.
>
> the other issue is the use of `$nl{ cmd } in rc(1) scripts.
> the shell parser doesn't like this and I cannot see what it
> is designed to do. Can someone explain?
>
> -Steve

Yep, what alex said.

FYI, I submitted patches to 9p.io (patch/create) to
handle both of these differences, though I've been
told that one of them doesn't apply cleanly because
rmiller's raspberry pi images (which I used for this)
are out of date.

9legacy won't install for me on vultr (the CD's 9fat
gets mounted, instead of the install disk's, so of
course copying the files to 9fat fails), so I don't
have a machine to update them on, and I don't really
want to spend *too* much time fighting 9legacy to get
an up-to-date system to test on.

I guess I should report a bug on 9fans.