* [9front] Igfx eDP timeout - no graphics
@ 2022-05-19 20:16 sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-05-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello all,

I tried getting my "new" toughbook working with 9front and encountered an
issue with the graphics. It uses Ironlake Arrendale graphics which should
work, and it seems to be an issue with the embedded DisplayPort it uses.

I ran aux/vga with the trace option and it seems it is a timeout on the
eDP device for whatever reason. Here's the trace:
http://okturing.com/src/13631/body

If you can give me a pointer or anything that could help, I'd really love
to help bringing 9front to this device. It's a Panasonic CF-52 btw,
sometimes used as a car machine testing device (and in fact, this one was
a Volkswagen device).

Thank you

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Igfx eDP timeout - no graphics
@ 2022-05-20  5:11 ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2022-05-20  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu May 19 22:17:11 +0200 2022, sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de wrote:
> I ran aux/vga with the trace option and it seems it is a timeout on the
> eDP device for whatever reason. Here's the trace:
> http://okturing.com/src/13631/body

	; hget http://okturing.com/src/13631/body
	[...]
	igfx: display #1
	[...]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ironlake has LVDS for the internal
display; eDP replaces it from haswell on.  Either way, according to
the trace you're trying to use display 1, which is the VGA port, not
LVDS (cf.  /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/igfx.c:32 and
/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/igfx.c:1143).  If you're using a particular vgadb
entry, make sure it has "lcd=1"; that will select LVDS, ie.  the
internal display.  It's pretty confusing...  Perhaps you could try
monitor=x60t, since that already has an entry for 1024x768 with lcd=1.
If it works, you should get something on the screen even if the
timings are wrong and it's distored or whatever.

Hope this helps,
qwx

* Re: [9front] Igfx eDP timeout - no graphics
@ 2022-05-20  7:23   ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-05-20  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

20.05.2022 07:11:14 qwx@sciops.net:
> ...  Perhaps you could try
> monitor=x60t, since that already has an entry for 1024x768 with lcd=1.
> If it works, you should get something on the screen even if the
> timings are wrong and it's distored or whatever.

Sadly, I get no signal on the screen running

aux/vga -m x60t -l '1024x768x32,#0'

(specifying display 0 explicitly).

When using display 1 the screen turns off completely, with display 0 it
turns off and on again, but without any sign of a signal (black screen).

I also tried modes lcd and vesa, still no luck. I can try to catch a
trace for this command later when I have more time.

Thank you for responding and giving hope.

@ 2022-05-21  8:34     ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2022-05-21  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri May 20 07:12:44 +0200 2022, qwx@sciops.net wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but ironlake has LVDS for the internal
> display; eDP replaces it from haswell on.
[...]
> If you're using a particular vgadb entry, make sure it has "lcd=1";
> that will select LVDS, ie.  the internal display.

I'm full of shit, looking into it I realized that it's the other way
around, LVDS was dropped in haswell while eDP has been around since
sandybridge at least, certainly on the CF-52.  Sorry!

I hope I'm not adding to the confusion too much, but display #1
corresponds to the vga port on the machine, ie.  an external monitor;
display #2 would be LVDS, and #3 eDP/DPA.  They're 0-indexed in the
code, so it's 0, 1, and 2 when specifying them.  The internal display
should correspond to eDP in your case, so display #3 (2 in the code).
IIRC the ',#N' syntax is also specific to vesa and not recognized by
igfx (/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/vesa.c:/^cracksize).  I hope I've got that
much correct and not telling more lies.

Regardless, after you trying more or less everything, there's nothing
much else to do but debug the actual code, so these traces or other
random attempts will not help.  I'd look into how displayport is setup
in igfx and try to fix it.  I need to do that as well, but as usual,
no promises.

Good luck!  Hope that helps,
qwx