From: sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] new game: battleship (aka sink the fleet)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 13:37:09 +0200 (GMT+02:00)	[thread overview]

Hey all,

as a game developer at some point I just have to raise my voice, although I didn't have the time yet to take a look at battleship.

06.09.2023 12:49:00 rgl@antares-labs.eu:
> that's too bad, but there's nothing i can do about it. :/
> i think it's best if you set up a battle with someone
> out of band, then join the server.

For that issue, it's probably worth recording a game session with other players as a video, so everybody can take a look at it no matter if someone is there or not. I'd certainly watch it, and it would attract more players.

Because I haven't played the game yet I can't give more advice yet. Only that I started working on some kinda 3d game engine. (The rest of the mail is about that idea, so feel free to skip if you're not interested.)

To be more precise, I'm playing around with the thought of building a full system, including shaders and filesystem that can be implemented as drivers for actual GPUs (but with the first implementation being purely CPU based). It'll probably be a collection of multiple libraries and tools that can be replaced easily.

I don't know how the idea will develop, I'm currently only thinking about it and developing a simple mesh importer library (next will be the renderer). What I can definitely say is, the whole project will take quite some time and it'll start very slowly because I'm busy with other projects, just in case someone wants to collaborate (I know rodri has a bunch of 3d experiments).

Any details and ideas should be discussed in a separate thread, I think.

sirjofri