* R: A manual...
@ 2001-01-16 19:52 Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2001-01-16 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Alex Baretta <alex@baretta.com>
A: caml-list@inria.fr <caml-list@inria.fr>
Data: domenica 14 gennaio 2001 21.49
Oggetto: A manual...

>Hi there! I'm a new Ocaml user and enthusiast. ...

I guess I am a little over enthusiastic. I forgot to mention one
important point: i found the online manual a read several sections. I
found parts that looked more like a reminder for somebody who already
knows the language very well, and others (the short overview at the
beginning of the manual) excessively shallow to help understand the
most powerful features of the language. I would really appreaciate if
anyone could point me to some other online documentation on the
language, with which from a simple Ocaml enthusiast I might become an
Ocaml guru.

BTW, thanks to all who have taken time to answer my first mail. I hope
I'm not bugging you guys. I have now been reading this mailing list
for several days, and I have noticed that the average level is a
little over my understanding (say, another couple of years of
university study above my understanding): it is probably not the right
place for a newbie to post, or is it?

Ciao a tutti! Hello to all! Salut à tout le monde!

Alex

* Re: R: A manual...
@ 2001-01-20 19:46 ` Brian Rogoff
From: Brian Rogoff @ 2001-01-20 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Alex Baretta wrote:
> [...]

NO! There can never be too much OCaml enthusiasm. One of the many things a
language needs to become widespread is enthusiastic newbies. Crank up the
volume dude.

> I forgot to mention one
> important point: i found the online manual a read several sections. I
> found parts that looked more like a reminder for somebody who already
> knows the language very well, and others (the short overview at the
> beginning of the manual) excessively shallow to help understand the
> most powerful features of the language. I would really appreaciate if
> anyone could point me to some other online documentation on the
> language, with which from a simple Ocaml enthusiast I might become an
> Ocaml guru.

If you read French, try this site

http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/Livres/ora/DA-OCAML/index.html

which is the online O'Reilly book. If you have time, and your French is as
good as your English, you could join the volunteer effort to translate
this.

I wish there were more docs available, since a friend of mine who I was
trying to bring to the light is going to try SML instead, on account of
the wider availability of simple tutorial material. The level of the
Caml materials was to high for him, given his background and available
time.

> BTW, thanks to all who have taken time to answer my first mail. I hope
> I'm not bugging you guys. I have now been reading this mailing list
> for several days, and I have noticed that the average level is a
> little over my understanding (say, another couple of years of
> university study above my understanding): it is probably not the right
> place for a newbie to post, or is it?

It is a well moderated list, so don't worry, if Pierre thinks it isn't
right, he'll reject it. Newbie questions are great, it means the Ocaml
ranks are swelling. Maybe one day that other common thread about whether
business will accept Ocaml will become irrelevant on account of the
hordes of knowledgeable Ocaml programmers. Welcome aboard!

-- Brian

* RE: R: A manual...
@ 2001-01-22  7:11   ` Mattias Waldau
From: Mattias Waldau @ 2001-01-22  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Rogoff, Alex Baretta; +Cc: caml-list

About Ocaml in english:

http://cristal.inria.fr/~remy/cours/appsem/

http://www.cs.ait.ac.th/~kitt/

@ 2001-01-22 22:42   ` Paul A. Steckler
From: Paul A. Steckler @ 2001-01-22 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Rogoff, Alex Baretta; +Cc: caml-list

>... If you have time, and your French is as
>good as your English, you could join the volunteer effort to translate
>this.

Are volunteers still needed for this effort?  My French is rusty,
but probably good enough to be helpful.

-- Paul

| Paul Steckler, Ph.D.       |    Rice University PLT            |
| steck@cs.rice.edu          |    DrScheme Project               |
| Tel:  713/348-3814         |    http://www.cs.rice.edu/~steck/ |
| FAX:  713/348-5930         |    *** Ad astra per hackera ***   |

* R: A manual...
@ 2001-01-16 19:43 Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2001-01-16 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Mentre; +Cc: caml-list