From: "Lionel Fourquaux" <lionel.fourquaux@wanadoo.fr>
To: <jeanmarc.eber@lexifi.com>, <caml-list@inria.fr>
Cc: <david.vincent@lexifi.com>
Subject: RE: -custom under win32
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:49:25 +0100	[thread overview]

> Hi OCamler!
>
> I want to generate a "closed bytecode" executable under win32
> (that contains the
> bytecode interpreter so that it can be used on a machine without OCaml
> installed). I'm just using the "standard" Ocaml run-time (I
> haven't written any
> C-code to incorporate in the run-time).
>
> 1. Do I understand well that I need the Microsoft Linker
> (cl.exe), but ONLY the
> linker, not the C compiler or assembler ?

	You need cl.exe, and it's not the linker, but the compiler.
Mostly, it is used to call link.exe (the linker) with the required
arguments. However, I think ocamlc generate also a simple C file
for the list of primitives. Anyhow, you need VC++.

	Wouldn't it be possible to modify ocamlc so that only
the assembler and the linker are used ? (By generating this
table of primitives in assembly.)

> 2. If yes, does anybody know if this linker can be
> obtained/purchased/...
> without buying VC++ ?

	The Miscrosoft linker (link.exe) and the assembler (ml.exe)
are included in the Windows 98 DDK and in the Windows 2000 DDK.
Both can be downloaded form Microsoft website. The required
libraries are also included.

> 3. Can my problem be solved with Cygwin now, in a future version ?

	I think so, but I'm not very interested in Cygwin, so you'd
better check.

> Jean-Marc Eber

	Hope this helps,

		Lionel Fourquaux