From: "David Allsopp" <dra-news@metastack.com>
To: "'ivan chollet'" <ivan.chollet@free.fr>
Cc: <caml-list@yquem.inria.fr>
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] Re: ocaml sefault in bytecode: unanswered questions
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 18:24:59 +0100	[thread overview]

When you pass a value to a function, you create a pointer to that value in
the OCaml runtime - the GC can't collect the old value until List.iter
completes because the value is still live (internally, it's part of a local
root but, in practice, as List.iter is implemented in OCaml directly it's
because an OCaml function parameter references the value). Note that in this
example:

let a = [1; 2; 3]

and b = [4; 5; 6]

and c = [7; 8; 9] in

let myref = ref a in

(* No allocations are done after here *)

  myref := a;

  myref := b;

  myref := c;;

the assignments to [myref] do not result in any memory being allocated at
all (my point is that action of assigning to a reference does not implicitly
result in an allocation).

David