* Re: SML/NJ versus O'Caml
@ 2000-10-12 17:10 David McClain
From: David McClain @ 2000-10-12 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

...but the OCaml team didn't write that stuff, they just put them up on
their site! As one of the commenters on that site, I did a fairly lengthy
comparison of languages including SML and OCaml among about a dozen others
and finally settled on OCaml for its speed, ease of foreign function
integration, type safety, available documentation, and terseness of
expression.

My first real trial of OCaml was a very complicated numeric analysis of
optical performance. I worked for two solid weeks in another language and it
still didn't quite work correctly. After three intense days with OCaml,
including writing a bunch of supporting C code to handle graphical displays,
I managed to get an analysis program that worked correctly the first time
out of the chute -- no debugging necessary!

Cheers,

David McClain, Sr. Scientist, Raytheon Systems Co., Tucson, AZ