* let rec and polymorphic functions
@ 2007-06-27  8:40 David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2007-06-27  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Why is let rec apparently unable to infer polymorphic function types? In
both the expressions below, I'd expect [out] to have type [('a, unit,
string, unit) format4 -> 'a]. Why when used in a [let rec] construct is it
clearly inferred as [('_a, unit, string, unit) format4 -> '_a] and then
instantiated as [(unit, unit, string, unit) format4 -> unit] by the first
call to [out] in [f]? It seems to contradict the end of Section 6.7.1 of the
manual.

I know that [out] and [f] are not mutually recursive so there's no need to
use [let rec] but I tend to use [let rec] in situations where I'm defining
two functions where one uses the other at the [let ... in] level as it saves
writing the extra [in]! This appears potentially to be a mistake, though...

As ever, a technical explanation of why the type system behaves this way
much appreciated! I won't make judgement on the hours of time wasted by the
cryptic type errors in this case ;o)

Just in case it matters, I'm using O'Caml 3.09.3...

David

(*
 * This first example works.
 *)
let out line =
  Printf.printf line
in
  let f () =
    (*
     * [out] is clearly polymorphic
     *)
    out "TEST";
    out "%d" 0;
    out "%b" false;
  in
    f ();;

(*
 * This second example does not. Why?
 *)
let rec out line =
  Printf.printf line
and f () =
  (*
   * [out] gets inferred as string -> unit here...
   *)
  out "TEST";
  (*
   * ... and so we get a "too many parameters" error here.
   *)
  out "%d" 0;
in
  f ();;

* Re: [Caml-list] let rec and polymorphic functions
@ 2007-06-27  9:05 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-06-27  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

There are many problems with this. Google for ad-hoc polymorphism, polymorphic
recursion and generic printing.

On Wednesday 27 June 2007 09:40:31 David Allsopp wrote:
>   out "TEST";

val out : string -> unit

>   out "%d" 0;

val out : format -> int -> unit

As printf is ad-hoc polymorphic, you must supply the format specifier
immediately and OCaml will generate a custom printer for you. OCaml does not
use run-time types so you cannot have a generic print function: you must
specific print functions for each of your (possibly higher-order) types.

Also, recursive calls ossify the function to a monomorphic type, so you cannot
do polymorphic recursion in OCaml. There are workaround using recursive
modules or objects but I don't think this is what you want here.

The OCaml Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_journal/?e

* Re: [Caml-list] let rec and polymorphic functions
@ 2007-06-27 10:14   ` Arnaud Spiwack
From: Arnaud Spiwack @ 2007-06-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Jon Harrop a écrit :
> There are many problems with this. Google for ad-hoc polymorphism, polymorphic
> recursion and generic printing.
>
> On Wednesday 27 June 2007 09:40:31 David Allsopp wrote:
>
>>   out "TEST";
>>

> val out : string -> unit

Actually it seems to infer properly "out : (unit, out_channel, unit)
format -> unit". So the magic is pulled here (which surprises me a lot,
but well). The problem seems more related to the fact that mutual
recursive function are monomorphic.