From: "Jonathan Coupe" <jonathan@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk>
To: "Chris Hecker" <checker@d6.com>, <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: lablgtk for Win32
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 00:37:55 -0000	[thread overview]

Chris Heckewr wrote "In general, while I'm all for cross platform gui
libraries in theory, I'm coming to the conclusion that they're just not
ready for production work.  Your app is huge because it's not taking
advantage of any of the built in controls, it's slow to display because it's
huge and because it draws all the controls itself, you can't just distribute
a single exe because it needs a zillion dlls (or you end up staticly linking
the 5 MB of gui dlls), and it's sloppy looking because things aren't tunable
to be "just right".  Not sure what to do about it, though"

People who have worked with it have recommended wxWindows to me as a
cross-platform solution that works fairly well. I don't how many OS's it
covers. It's usable from C++ and Python at the moment, but maybe it's a sign
that reasonable performance is possible. (I think wx apps do tend to be on
the large side though.)

Jonathan Coupe