* [Caml-list] [OCAMOLE] problem with guid
@ 2002-08-22 11:31 Samuel Lacas
From: Samuel Lacas @ 2002-08-22 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I found the following problem with the last ocamole-pre library:

# #load "ocamole.cma";;
# open Ocamole;;
# guid_of_string;;
- : string -> Ocamole.guid = <fun>

Then, guid_of_string "something" crashes the runtime interpreter.
I have the log of the system, if that can be of any help.

By the way, I'm quite confused by these guid, due to my lack of deep
konwledge of COM automation/interface. For instance, olegen on
PowerPoint gave me ml-interface like the following:

   module Shapes : sig
      sigtype t = shapes [...]
      val guid : guid

      [...]

      shapeval add_label : t -> orientation:guid
	 -> left:float -> top:float
	 -> width:float -> height:float -> shape

      [...]

      end

The function add_label should allow to create a new label object to
the (list of shapes of some) slide. However, I do not manage to find
what are the "orientation:guid" parameter possible values ?
guid_of_string and string_of_guid seem to be the only available
functions to manipulate guid, but then I discovered that the
string_of_guid crashes.

I tried to retrieve information on already created objects, but most
of the call to functions with return types "guid" failed (some
exception was thrown from the COM side, stating "Bad return type", or
something similar). Other methods worked (that is, any that does not
need or return a guid), by the way.

I suspect that the olegen possibly created a wrong COM interface here.

Sincerely,

sL

* Re: [Caml-list] [OCAMOLE] problem with guid
@ 2002-08-22 11:54 ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2002-08-22 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Lacas, caml-list

> I found the following problem with the last ocamole-pre library:
>
> # #load "ocamole.cma";;
> # open Ocamole;;
> # guid_of_string;;
> - : string -> Ocamole.guid = <fun>
>
> Then, guid_of_string "something" crashes the runtime interpreter.
> I have the log of the system, if that can be of any help.

Thanks for the report.
OCamole haven't yet been tested under the toplevel.

> The function add_label should allow to create a new label object to
> the (list of shapes of some) slide. However, I do not manage to find
> what are the "orientation:guid" parameter possible values ?

Note that ocamole can't really answer to theses questions. You should try to
figure out how you would to that in VB and then translate into OCaml ( if
find somewhere the PowerPoint VBScript Help )

> guid_of_string and string_of_guid seem to be the only available
> functions to manipulate guid, but then I discovered that the
> string_of_guid crashes.

True.
a GUID is an unique identifier ( something like this :
{DA936B63-AC8B-11D1-B6E5-00A0C90F2744} ) which can represent a COM class
or... something else... There is a also way to retreive the guid from an
name ( such as "Excel.Application" ) : "guid_of_progid"

> I tried to retrieve information on already created objects, but most
> of the call to functions with return types "guid" failed (some
> exception was thrown from the COM side, stating "Bad return type", or
> something similar). Other methods worked (that is, any that does not
> need or return a guid), by the way.
>
> I suspect that the olegen possibly created a wrong COM interface here.

Seems like it does not come from the the generated interface but from the
type checking of returned values.
I'll invistigate this point.

Bye
Nicolas Cannasse